Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. B'midbar

B'midbar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Now that I no longer travel I prefer the 4K. The larger screen, the higher res, the higher nits.

NVMe SSDs on the past three machines don't hurt either. Faster disk and faster memory are always a good thing.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. werewolf

werewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

OK I'm going to order the maxed out model i think. Spoke with the salesman today.
    But have you had any cooling problem with it?

And by the way, the guy above who mentioned his "40% perks" discount and then wouldn't share it...just ask the salesman for it! Lenovo sales people are quite flexible. They want their sales commission. Turns out my military discount is much better anyway.

Nyek and huntnyc like this.
  3. B'midbar

Reputations:
    No cooling problems. Fan kicks on occasionally, but nothing too ferocious. Have had my unit 5 weeks now and am well pleased with it - build, screen, speed, keyboard and mouse of course.

huntnyc likes this.
  4. Nyek

Nyek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You must stress the CPU with VMWare but give it a go to stress the GPU as well while gaming or rendering.

5. B'midbar

Reputations:
    Last game I played was Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards c.1994. An IT guy 35 yrs I'm on a machine 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs/day or more. No interest, time for games.

VMs work the SSD a little when WebSphere is spinning up, and sometimes when I have two going at the same time, but still not bad. When I pop more RAM in later to emulate a true n-tier environment we'll see.

6. werewolf

Reputations:
    Do any of you guys use a dock with it? If so, which?

7. werewolf

Reputations:
    The Lenovo P1 and X1Extr are identical except the former is somewhat better - and i just found out it is less expensive too! So I'm going with the P1.

huntnyc likes this.
  8. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    is anyone else finding their package c-states aren't being utilized properly ? As in, the chip will idle in C2 with around 2W power draw as opposed to C8 with 0.5W. I have to restart to BIOS to get it working again temporarily.

edit: okay, this is quite odd. I noticed that Throttlestop was able to read my GPU's temperature, even though there was no activity on it per the tray icon. I disabled then reenabled the P2000 in the device manager, and lo and behold my CPU was able to properly go into low power states.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    rm501 likes this.
  9. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Better in what sense? I thought the difference in hardware was basically down to Quadro P vs GTX series GPUs

10. werewolf

Reputations:

Yes, and I've revised my opinion as i noted on the what notebook should i buy board. I was under the impression that the Quadros were better, and for some people they are but not me i think. The only other known difference between them is the P1 includes the ethernet adapter to the ridiculous mini ethernet port and the x1E inexplicably does not and so you need to pay over $30 more to get that proprietary adapter with the P1E.

Arondel likes this.