Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone who could confirm wether 2TB nvme drives work or not?
    Or just check if Lenovo has put a drive size block directly in UEFI.
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. maven1975

maven1975 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hope they work!

Just purchased a Samsung 970 Evo 2TB for my X1 Carbon. I was as not aware it could be blocked from working!

That would be a VERY APPLE (Richard) move if its blocked. :mad:

Will report if it works in my X1C Wednesday.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    kirth and huntnyc like this.
  3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    45W is only a third of what the AC adapter meant for this system provides (135W), so that seems a bit optimistic. Fwiw, I just bought this Nekteck 65W USB-C charger. I'd never heard of Nekteck (I'm a big Anker fan, but right now their chargers only reach 60W), but it was one of only chargers I could find that offered 65W other than Apple's, and it's USB-IF certified. And at $40 on Amazon I felt it was reasonably priced, especially considering that it came with a 2m / 6ft USB-C cable, also USB-IF certified. The Finsix Dart-C seemed interesting, but they're never in stock and I didn't like that the USB-C connector on one end was proprietary.

In addition, after I measured the total cord length of my "normal" Dell and Lenovo AC adapters and found they were ~9 ft, I looked for a 3m / 10ft USB-C cable capable of 5A / 100W (rather than the standard 3A / 60W) because I didn't want less slack than I already had. I ended up buying this Nekteck 2-pack since it was cheaper than an equivalent single StarTech cable, and the StarTech cable had prominent branding on the connectors that I didn't want to see all the time.

The charger and all cables seem well built, and my ThinkPad T480 and Latitude 7480 are both using 65W just fine as long as I use those cables. I tested a regular USB-C cable that's only rated for the normal 3A / 60W, and sure enough in that case the systems only drew 60W.

I originally planned to wait for someone to make a "road warrior travel charger" that had 65W USB-C plus 3x USB-A ports capable of at least 2A simultaneously, since it allow me to charge everything I carry around. But thinking about it, I realized there are times when I want to charge my laptop at a desk and my phone+tablet+battery pack on a nightstand, so having my laptop charger separate from my multi-port USB-A charger started to seem better. Also, a charger that could handle 95W total output wouldn't be a "wall wart"; it would be a brick with a power cord to the wall. The problem with that is that if the brick where you plug your devices in is just sitting on the floor, you've just lost about 1 ft of usable cord length compared to if you were were using a wall wart, based on the typical height of wall-mounted electrical outlets.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  4. maven1975

maven1975 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Samsung 970 EVO 2TB works without issues.

huntnyc, Nyek and kirth like this.
  5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    X1E is 40% on perks discount it seems

ike2k likes this.
  6. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why no discounts like that in Germany? :vbmad:

7. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    check campus or educational discount

germany is under EU too so at base you get better warranty and customer rights (not sure about this part)

8. werewolf

werewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

What is a "perks discount" and how can i get it?

9. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    pm me

10. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's so true. Unbelievable the huge differences in buying from usa or from some european site, like the italian one in my case.
    If it wasn't for shipping troubles and warranty I'd buy from usa. I'd even accept the us keyboard.