Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. B'midbar

B'midbar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Funny you should bring that up as I just remembered I have a Finsix DART and I'm waiting for them to get the USB-C adapter cable back in stock. You can check them out at Finsix.com. Their web sites are a little screwy, to actually order you have to go to https://store.finsix.com/, they have no link to that from their main web site. I actually got mine new in box on eHoseBags for $35, less than half full retail from Finsix directly.

Meantime, fired up at 94% this morning, ran off the 65W adapter all day, including going in and out of multiple VMs all day. It charged to 100% and has been there for the remainder of the day. Will let the 65W Lenovo slim travel adapter go with my X1 Yoga 1st Gen when I sell it here in the next week and will take my Finsix on the road.

EDIT: Finsix Dart, also 65W, works just fine. It's only 85 grams (.18#). X1 Extreme UHD is 4.06#, my 13.3" HP Spectre X360 is 2.89# so basically a wash on weight when I walk out the door with the Dart, but way more screen real estate and way more horsepower. #winning

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cool product, didn't know about it. Looks like they also have a native USB-C version but it's out of stock with no ETA. Not quite the road warrior travel charger I was looking for since it's only got 1 USB-A port, but it is impressively small. I also wonder how the power for the USB-A port is handled since the DART can deliver 12W there. If a USB-A device is consuming that, would the DART reduce the power available to the laptop to 53W max, or is the DART actually a 77W device that can deliver 65W for laptops and 12W to a USB-A device simultaneously?

3. B'midbar

Reputations:
    They had a FAQ which explained their technology and the "impressively small," but looks like their Cloudflare is down right now. Their tech specs really don't say.

4. B'midbar

Reputations:
    Scored a 16GB DDR4 Crucial SO-DIMM on eHosebags for $99 with my eBay bucks (was $126.98). 32GB RAM, 1.5TB of SSDs, I'm good for a while if not indefinitely.

Sure did miss this keyboard and the mouse buttons at the top of the touchpad.

5. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Lenovo delayed my x1e from arriving oct 4 to shipping from China October 26 without explanation, so I cancelled it. I'm trying for a P1 FHD P2000 directly from HID evolution instead, which should hopefully ship by Friday

9ac3 and improwise like this.
  6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not that I would want a SATA SSD on a system like this, but has anyone noticed that on the configurator, you're told to choose an NVMe SSD if you want to see options for a second hard drive, and then the second hard drive options are all NVMe? Does that mean this system will only support one hard drive if a SATA SSD is installed? That could be inconvenient for people who use a single NVMe SSD during normal operation but might occasionally want to install a SATA SSD in the second slot to recover data from it, for example. The PSRef specs don't mention anything about this limitation.

7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It'll work, just not offered as an option.

The Lenovo SSD options and prices are garbage anyways.

8. Baconfat

Baconfat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any throttling issues so far? Some youtube reviewers have it underperforming the Razer Blade 15.

9. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think most machines underperform the Razer Blade, due to it employing a vapor cooling chamber.

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    New/old bios apparently has a weird premature throttling. 85c is the limit for some reason. Some owners on reddit say that their machine is performing like this. Not sure if this affects everyone since reviewers have managed to push the machine to 99c.

It's kinda similar like the X1 Carbon gen 5 that throttles at 75c, setting a premature throttle temp to create the illusion of low temps.

AFAIK that's the current experience from owners on reddit, not sure if this is a bug or not.

Blade is still throttling with the vapor chamber. It isn't possible to run the 8750H efficiently in cooling systems designed for lesser CPUs.

9ac3 likes this.