Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They are 25% off via Corporate Perks program until 10/14

2. B'midbar

B'midbar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I knew it was a given that the moment I popped for a unit that the prices would start going down, but I'll keep picking up the phone 'til they say 'no.' ;)

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  3. longhornboy

longhornboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I see a similar discount with the program I have access to, although it ends on 10/11.

Can someone confirm what make/model SSD is used the X1 Extreme? I'm looking at the 1 TB option.

Thanks,
    -LB

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Usually they go with Samsung 961.

It really doesn't matter in most cases. The random writes of any NVMe SSD are all good enough that you will notice no real world difference.

Very specialized sequenced writes and rewrite tasks over long periods of time are needed for you to benefit from "the fastest" SSDs

5. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can the X1E charge via USB-C at all? I read initially that it can’t, but then I saw that it was going to be compatible with an upcoming Thunderbolt Business Dock that connects to both TB3 ports on the system to provide sufficient power and is itself connected to two separate AC adapters. Seems a bit ugly to me. But the reason I ask is that the XPS 15 can charge from a 60W source. That’s not enough to drive the system, but it means you can use a travel charger to charge while the system is asleep, which is kind of a nice capability.

Speaking of the dock, I really wish Lenovo had a better setup for their 135W systems. Dell docks can deliver up to 130W over a single USB-C connection with a single AC adapter input, and their TB16 also has more options for running high resolution displays. Lenovo’s current TB3 dock reserves an entire DP 1.2 channel for the USB-C upstream port and splits the other across the rest of the outputs — so if you don’t use that upstream USB-C port, no dual 4K for you.

But I do like the dual M.2 SSD slots, the port selection, and the keyboard — even with the incorrect Fn/Ctrl placement since that can at least be swapped in the BIOS and despite the sad lack of media keys....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  6. B'midbar

Reputations:
    Yes. I hadn't read, heard that, but I am doing it now with a Dell U3818DW monitor. It flakes a little (several times a day) with the left half of the screen going blank (I run PBP with a client's ThinkPad T470), but I just unplug from one port and plug to another and the screen comes back. I uninstalled the Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible host controllers (1.10 Microsoft), re-installed the and rebooted the machine and that seems to have helped a lot.

7. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks! How does the system behave when running hard and connected to a source that provides less than 135W? Does it throttle performance or keep draining the battery to make up the deficit? As for the USB 3.1 drivers, unless you’re running Windows 7 on that system, which I don’t believe is supported, I don’t think you want separate USB drivers installed. I’m surprised they allowed being installed to begin with.

8. B'midbar

Reputations:
    Hardest thing I run is VMware Workstation VMs for RHEL 7.5 with DB2 and WebSphere in them so it's mostly disk I/O and memory and that's fine. The "blanking" occurs when firing a new app that pops up large or full window on the screen. Win10 Pro, the drivers were already there.

Battery doesn't drain, stays fully charged. Before messing with the USB controllers I uninstalled the display adapters for the Intel 630, then re-installed, but that didn't fix the problem.

EDIT: Testing different use cases, doesn't do it when I run the Dell full screen.

upload_2018-10-6_5-31-59.png

9. B'midbar

Reputations:
    In my recliner, I'm running off a second Lenovo 65 watt adapter I have from my X1 Yoga 1st Gen and right now it's not drawing down. Will do some heavy work tomorrow and see what it does. My suspicion would be it will draw on battery if load draws more than the adapter can supply, but if I can go most, all of the day with the two combined then a third, slim 65W adapter I have that I got for the X1 I'll hold on too as well for if, when I ever bounce out the door again.

10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks, and great news! I mostly just wanted to make sure it would at least charge from a 60W USB-C source while asleep or powered off. The reason is that I'm hoping a solid vendor like Anker comes out with a "road warrior" charger that I'll be able to use as my single power source for all devices when I'm on the go. My ideal product would have a USB-C port capable of delivering at least 60W and then 3 USB-A ports each capable of delivering at least 10W, with all ports able to deliver that output simultaneously. Thus far nobody makes a charger quite like that, and the couple I've found that come close are from no-name brands that I'm not sure I want to trust with my devices. But knowing that the X1E can charge over USB-C even from an undersized source definitely keeps it in the running for me. I may end up waiting for a version that includes the Titan Ridge TB3 controller to support DP 1.4 over USB-C though.