Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wish these laptops had been announced before I bought my T480 with MX150. The 150 seems to be just enough power for doing basic stuff I've used it for so far, some CS or WoW but it's not the best and if I had waited a little could have gotten a 1050 although I would have had to move to a 15 inch for that. Still, the new X1s and P1s are awesome laptops, wish I could have gotten one of those instead earlier in the year.

2. B'midbar

B'midbar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sweet. Haven't seen that in a single pic or review, but if so it'll be like my SP3s and SP4.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  3. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Going by the track record of the XPS 13, 15 and a few other laptops which offer two versions, there is clearly some manufacturing advantage of the E2E glass as the reports of backlight bleed are far less common (or when they exist, far less pronounced). Some people even on the gaming laptop forums have got the 4K screen rather than the 144hz panels because of BLB problems.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  4. maven1975

maven1975 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can deal with the BL issues at corners if it means I have a lighter/glassless display.

Honestly, Its great that the option is still out there.

My favorite screens were always on Sony Vaio Z's.

The Carbon's HDR Flicker Free (No PWM) display is my new favorite aside from it high input lag.

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Really? there have been a ton of "hands on" pics from the press release.

the official press release video also clearly shows it (starting 1:10):

Notebookcheck also took some photos but also has the full panel description and stats:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...GTX-1050-Ti-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.335608.0.html

6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Mine has been delayed until late October. I am not happy.

7. B'midbar

Reputations:
    Never saw the official press release, wasn't even really looking for a 15" machine. Get regular solicitations from Lenovo, saw this machine, then started looking, reading reviews on TechRadar, AnandTech, etc., then came back up here looking for an owners forum and started tagging along. First 15" machine (Inspiron 5000 with a DVD!) was in the fall of 2002 commuting weekly to Joysee, concluded that "era" with a W500, W510 and W520, then started dropping weight. 22# on your back on a laptop backpack gets old after the four hundredth time out the door or so. Been in the ultrabook world for the past six machines.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  8. B'midbar

Reputations:
    Roll of the die, mine's on the delivery vehicle.

EDIT: Unit just delivered. As I'm not cloning the drive to a larger one, but just adding my own data drive in the second slot this will be a really quick, easy upgrade. More later this evening once I'm up and running on initial assessment.

EDIT: Build, fit and finish is solid. 20 min for initial setup, Windows Update and Lenovo System Update in Lenovo Vantage in another 15 min, including flashing the BIOS. Done all my own personal tweaks I've evolved over the years, uninstalling all the HP bloatware and installed apps on my Samsung EVO 960 Pro still in my HP Spectre 360, plopping it into the second M.2 slot on this X1 Extreme, then installing base apps - MS Office 2016 Pro, Thunderbird, VMware Workstation, Eclipse, Visual Studio, should be up within an hour.

4K machine, the screen is edge to edge, no bezel. Luuuv and missed this keyboard and the trackpad both. I know it's only a little over 4# which is very good for it's size, but it feels like a lot more after my 13.3", 2.89# Spectre X360 and 13.9" Yoga 920, but the screen is bloody nice to look at and that was one of two determining factors in my jumping back to a 15" machine.

FINAL EDIT: Three hours end-to-end, including putting my Samsung EVO 960 Pro in the second M.2 slot. Seven screws on the bottom that don't come all the way out, just loosen them as loose as they'll go, then grab the edge at the back underneath the screen and lift up gently and the clips will snap out. Second M.2 slot if you're putting your own SSD in there doesn't have the little screw already in there to secure it so if you're adding your own be sure to have one of those little screws handy. Also be sure to hit F1 and go into BIOS before shutting down to disable Fast Start on the battery before shutting down and cracking the case.

Seven years ago with Acronis or Easeus, an HDD in an external enclosure or using a gigabit ethernet crossover cable and Windows Transfer this was a two day exercise. Fast SSDs and Macrium reflect have gotten me down to about six hours in the past few years, this was a pleasant, easy migration done in a snap.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Nyek and ThatOldGuy like this.
  9. x80

x80 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone know about how well an eGPU would be supported on the X1 Extreme? Thinking about the Razer Core v2 to an external display.

Also, anyone here have knowledge on the internal workings on the TB3 4xPCIe lanes? I was wondering if those lanes are shared by other peripheral inputs or totally allocated to the TB3 ports. Would make a performance impact.

@leindurstit do you have any thoughts on this? planning to undervolt and repaste mine as well

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  10. B'midbar

Reputations:
    If anyone's on the LenovoPRO program, another promotion today dropping the units about another $300. Picked up the phone, CSR shot me an e-mail, I remitted a screen shot of a cart with the lower price and they're crediting my CC. Sweet.

ThatOldGuy, ike2k and Nyek like this.