Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. B'midbar

B'midbar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agreed, but if they made these beasts' panels with gorilla glass like the Yogas or X1 tablets I'd be all over it like a fly on ****e.

2. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can get some good anti-glare. I have a 1080p version of the XPS 9360 and the screen is lovely, but due to the plastic bezels and the screen recessed behind it

i. Looks cheapish
    ii. Collects dust
    iii. Opens itself to backlight bleeding

I went in store and saw a few of the 4K XPS 13/15 and my god, even though I think 1080p is perfect, just to have that single sheet edge to edge glass just screams quality to me.

3. Nyek

Nyek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't be fooled my marketing. All glass screens have reflections even the anti-glare.

i. Looks cheaper, fortunately I don't care what others think.
    ii. Collects the same amount of dust and it's less noticeable.
    iii. Bleeding comes from the panel not the bezels.

4. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If it uses the same panel as the P52, it isn't really that reflective IRL as you get the feeling from watching videos etc.

5. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess that Lenovo does not use anything but air shippment for their laptops these days so in order for the Somali pirates to get hold of them... :)

6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It is edge to edge glass on the 4K model. That is also why it is slightly heavier and thicker for the 4K model

huntnyc likes this.
  7. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This discussion is a bit off I think, the 4K X1E has bezels and so does the XPS15. Its more about how visible they are and it seems like the XPS15 and the X1E is quite similar here. The visible bezels on my P52 seems to be more obious.

8. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Strictly speaking, a bezel is a physical retainer that goes over the top of the screen. Edge to edge glass screens don't have bezels. The marketing departments and media have changed the word to be any black space. Both X1E FHD and 4K have the same amount of black "non screen" space, but only the FHD model has a plastic bezel over the top. I think this is what @iMbaQ was referring to?

iMbaQ likes this.
  9. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    It doesn't use the same panel. But they should have the same "anti-reflective" coating. It has better contrast levels, so it may be slightly better than the P52 for reflections.

Yes and no. Many devices suffer from bleeding because the pressure the bezel can exert on the panel. Edge to edge glass can cause the same effect if it is a tight fit (and there is hardware like hinges beneath), so one is not necessarily better than the other for Backlight bleed problems.

10. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, this is what I was referring to. As an example, the Surface doesn't have this plastic bezel, just a single sheet glass display. You'll notice that laptops which employ edge to edge glass displays rarely have light bleed issues (or dust build up issues, or things going into the gap between the plastic bezel and the screen).

ThatOldGuy likes this.