ThinkPad A285, best latency 8GB or 16GB memory?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by SMGJohn, May 13, 2019.

1. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My simple question is which memory options on the A285 has the best memory latency? The 8GB or 16GB?
    Reason I am asking is obviously because Ryzen loves low latency memory and the memory is soldered in the laptop.
    The 8GB variant is CAS17 but no idea what the 16GB variant is both run at 2400MHz

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If your budget allows get HyperX 2400/2667MHz or Ripjaws or Corsair Vengeance or Crucial Ballistix. All have low latency at high freq.
    If you want compatibility over speed choose Crucial. Crucial has new 3200MHz laptop memory as well.

3. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    I forgot to say the memory is soldered so I have no idea what latency is on the 16GB variant

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Might be CAS 17/19 if its 2400/2667MHz DRAMs.

5. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Did those ever get released? I remember looking for a while, and the only US config was Ryzen 5 2500U and 8GB.

Okay, I looked. 2400MHz 16GB option for Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa.

IMO, my take on it: The A285 is already thermally limited. APU will never reach its max potential, not by a long shot. Faster, lower latency RAM will not make much of a difference. Even in my E485, faster, lower latency RAM doesn't overcome thermal limitations (and it was one of the best Ryzen laptops for thermals, upon release - nowadays, there are proper Ryzen+Nvidia gaming laptops with even better thermals).

The Intel version also has a 16GB DDR4 2400 option (with greater availability). Even so, nobody provided details for that one, either. I'd venture the laptop wasn't too popular after Lenovo axed all of the defining features of that laptop, leaving just a generic 12" laptop in 2018.

6. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    You can easily unlock the TDP on Rzyen APU's using tools people developed for them putting them stable on 35W TDP for majority of laptops, some people even got them to 50W TDP on 15 inch laptops with good VRM setup.
    From other forums it seems the 16GB one is CAS 19 2400MHz which is pretty bad compared to CAS 17 8GB 2400MHz if TDP can be raised to 35W which people has on the A285 then yeah, anything helps, Vega 10 too weak too play anything demanding enough to require 2GB memory anyway LOL and even if it did require more than 1GB just lower texture levels.

As I understand, the Vega 8 and 10 only use 1GB regardless how much memory is in the laptop but there no way as far as I know to let them use anymore, I know on Intel GPU's there is ways to let them use as much as you want to allocate to them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.