Thinking of getting Sony FW

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Jukams, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackoutsidethebox

jackoutsidethebox Newbie

Reputations:
    Sony is great. Too many details that make them among the best. I went for the VAIO Nebula model and couldn't be happier.

2. Jukams

Jukams Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ahh. Maybe I'll stick with the four gigs. And get a better processor then.

Ahh. And yea my dv5z is workin still but barely. Fan about to die. Battery gone pretty much. A key popped off. My Internet port doesn't work from banging the side since the fan would go crazy.
    Lol.
    But it's a great upgrade then?
    And is the reg screen good? Debating if I should get the full HD or not. Don't really watch movies on my laptop.
    I can't wait to get this laptop.
    I heard they might upgrade it... Should I try to hold out then?

3. invader7474

invader7474 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just bought a FW with near this specs. I am very happy.Its screen and performance impress me.I didn't try crysis but I tried to play pes 2010 with 1920 1080 and High and I can play gta IV with the same specs.The result was fantastic.:) the model code is in europe is FW5MTF..

4. alstein

alstein Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Hi

I purchased the FW490 several months ago, and have no regrets. I recently installed the free upgrade to windows 7, and after a few hitches, everything runs well. I purchased the notebooke with 4 gigs memory, 320 GB 7200rpm drive, the P8800 processor, the 16.4 hi-def screen, the blue ray player, and the ATI 4650 card with 1gb ram. I have no problems with the usb connections on the right side. I also use a blue tooth mouse which eliminates one usb connection.

5. Jukams

Jukams Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you all for all the responses.

6. gdansk

gdansk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have basically the same laptop (except P8700 processor) and it has never failed me. When I installed Windows 7 it went smoothly. The FW490CTOs are well manufactured, but I wouldn't recommend it if you walk to class (unless you like exercise), go for a smaller Sony. I never owned a Sony product before my FW490 laptop but now I know that the next laptop I get will also be a Sony.

Pros: Most comfortable laptop keyboard I've ever used. Trackpad is responsive, and adequate quality. The GPU is quite capable (I am able to play Serious Sam HD at 1920x1080 on high settings @ 40-60 FPS). The screen is very crisp, great colors, and very bright. The blu-ray drive works. I dropped the laptop, by accident, and it survived without a scratch or problem, maybe because it was still in my backpack. All-in-all, it is a perfect balance of multimedia, gaming ability, and practicality.

Cons: The USB ports and the power plug-in are on the wrong sides, in my opinion. The GPU is a downclocked variant (this may be an advantage, for longevity). Battery life on Ubuntu 9.10 is abysmal (probably poor chipset support). Some people say 16:9 is a bad aspect ratio for coding/word processing, but I like to view multiple files side by side.

7. ganix

ganix Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, I have the Sony FW510 also. Got it 5 days ago. LOVE IT. Nothing! is slowing this computer down. I am playing PSX emus full speed 1600x900, Leauges of Legends, Dragon Age, CoD2.

best purchase of my life. Now I was thinking I want to clean install it.. where do i get started? Would it make a large difference? I mean.. task manager says there are 80 processes. (normal for win7? or bloatware?)

sorry I am pretty new at this..

BTW I BOUGHT IT OFF EBAY WITH 20% BING CASHBACK
    so it was 780-150= 630!!!! way better then best buys deal because there is no tax either. Too bad bing is at 8% now..

8. Jukams

Jukams Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'D like to also know about clean install. Because beore thinking about buying a new laptop I bought win7 from te student discount site. But now since that ain't going to really happen.

9. Viking Quest

Viking Quest Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm also considering purchasing an FW. I've looked at so many different laptops my brain's going to implode - ASUS, Dell, Sony, Toshiba.

The FW590 has the specs I'm looking for. How does 1600x900 look for streaming HD content from ABC, CBS, FOX, etc as well as watching downloaded HD? Also, is the text size when internet browsing ideal? I've read that the 1366x768 resolution can be bothersome (larger text) on 16:9 screens, requiring more scrolling, which is why I'm looking at 1600x900. I may bump up to 1920x1080 if it makes browsing more pleasurable.

Will Sony honor a third party warranty, from Provantage for example, if the FW is bought from Sony Style? Sony's extended warranty is quite costly.

Finally, do you think the FW is superior to a comparatively spec'd Dell Studio 15?

10. silentblades

silentblades Newbie

Reputations:
    I also have a sony fw510 freaking thing is sweeet. I play CoDMW2 and Dragon age flawlessly. Now what is this clean install everyone is talking about..(im a newbie laptop owner). I also wonder if I can buy my warranty through sony at anytime in the next month or so (after Christmas).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.