Thinking of getting either EVOC 17GK7 (Tongfang GK7CP6S) or an MSI GL63 for a mid-range laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Anomalous Underdog, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Anomalous Underdog

Anomalous Underdog Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    $1500 to $2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15", 16" or 17"

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    I'm buying in the US, but I'm from the Philippines. I have a friend going to the USA in about 4 months from now to visit his relatives and he's willing to bring home a laptop that I will buy. I can only pay with Paypal, so I'm shopping mostly at NewEgg and not Amazon. I'm also looking at HID Evolution since I heard good reviews about them but I haven't really tried build-to-order laptop vendors yet.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I'm kind of partial to MSI since that's what I already bought before and my current GT60 laptop still works well. But I'm open to trying out other brands. I hear a lot of anecdotal stories about ASUS laptops heating up too much, though I'm not completely convinced about that. I mean it could just be a case of people who never clean their fans, but it's odd that I keep hearing about it from ASUS laptops.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Game development (Unity, Visual Studio, Photoshop, Substance Painter), lots of web browsing, and some gaming as well

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Primarily leaving it at a desk with power outlet.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    High end 3d games like Destiny 2

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not much really, maybe 1 to 2 hours.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    This is not really a big deal to me but if I had to choose, I guess I'd go with matte. In the end it doesn't matter to me since I always connect to an external monitor.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No, I'd actually prefer a barebones laptop without a logo, but only as long as the parts are not prone to failure.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1 TB at least

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    In about 3 to 4 months from now.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    About 4 to 5 years.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I only have a small window of opportunity to get the laptop tested (and repaired, if there's any problems) before my US-visiting-friend will go back to the Philippines.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I'd prefer a laptop that's easy to open up and diagnose myself. I don't think I have much of a chance to get this properly shipped back to the vendor seeing that it's going to be brought to the Philippines.

----

I'm going to replace my 5 year old MSI GT60 2QD Dominator that I use for game development. I use it pretty heavily, with programs like Unity, Substance Painter, Photoshop, etc. plus for gaming too of course.

The reason I use a laptop is that I often need to bring my work along with me.

But, after a lot of researching, I think I'll go with buying a mid-range laptop instead, and get a high-end desktop for my home where any heavy work will be done.

The mid-range laptop is for showing my work to bring into meetings, so it should still run fairly well.

For the laptop, I'm looking at:

1. HID Evolution's Tongfang GK7CP6S (EVOC 17GK7)
    EVOC High Performance Systems 17GK7 -17.3" FHD 144Hz- i7-9750H - GTX 1660 Ti

I'm not getting this for the mechanical keyboard, I just heard it's a chassis with good cooling. The other attraction for me is the lower price and simple look, as most barebones laptops go.

However with Walmart's version of this (Overpowered 17+), I'm seeing a lot of bad reviews with the hardware, mostly the DC plug being a loose fit, resulting in the laptop not charging, or the plug falling off at the slightest budge.

I've also read problems with the keyboard where supposedly pressing on the keys sometimes don't register if you type too fast, or the keys getting stuck depressed and needing a lot of fiddling to get them to raise again.

Sounds like the people who say that just got unlucky with bad parts, though I do worry if that would end up happening to me if I purchased one. I wonder if the version of this laptop that comes from HID Evolution is reliable. I'm hoping to get opinions from owners of this kind of laptop.

2. MSI GL63 9SDK-610 - 15.6" FHD 120Hz - i7-9750H - GTX 1660 Ti
    A little more expensive, but I read that this laptop also has good cooling.

Both have an i7-9750H, and a GTX 1660 Ti.

The Tongfang's screen has a faster refresh rate (144 Hz against the GL63's 120 Hz) but that isn't important to me since I doubt I'll be reaching more than 60 fps anyway.

The Tongfang's a 17", but as I understand it, the chassis is close to a 15" so that's why I'm comparing the two (I don't want anything bigger than a 15" laptop if possible, it wouldn't fit my laptop bag). The bigger screen on the Tongfang is not a big deal to me. I'm perfectly fine with a 15" screen.

Using HID Evolution, if I customize both to the same parts that I want (dual channel 16 GB, 1 TB NVMe SSD, their thermal repasting and thermal pad service), the MSI comes out a little more expensive at $1,672.00 (vs the Tongfang at $1,549.00).

My biggest concern is any potential heat issues, so I'm picking laptops that supposedly have good cooling according to any reviews I can find.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  2. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    the keyboard is actually the innovation that cools the tongfang so well it has pass through air

I dont know if they own the patent on it or they buy it from whoever does but its functionally the best laptop out there. there are other laptops with different cooling gadgets from asus using the back that opens for air or clevo uses just way more copper on the heatsynch ( and i personally think clevo makes the heat synchs for msi for what it matters)

but they both have good cooling definitely the tong fang is better. actually to be honest i dont think this is a fair comparison at all you sort of want the msi gs 75 to compare size weight etc you are comparing a msi cheaper model and its still more expensive

check out clevo 970ex

also look at eluktronics.com for the tongfang seems cheaper to me, and check out the 15 inch model

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  3. Anomalous Underdog

Anomalous Underdog Newbie

Reputations:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but if I understood you correctly, doesn't that mean the keyboard gets warm to the touch? I wouldn't exactly want that.

I was comparing them more for their ability to keep cool temps, and that their physical size is roughly the same (I heard the 17" Tong Fang will fit in a laptop bag meant for 15").

I guess it's to be expected that MSI is a little more expensive due to the brand. But it's still within my budget. Even looking at a 17" MSI laptop with similar specs (I wouldn't specifically use the MSI GS 75 for comparison since those only come with RTX videocards, which are more expensive), it's still within the price range I'm looking for, so it's not a big deal for me. I just happen to have narrowed down my choices to those laptops.

Looking at Eluktronics and HIDevolution, for the same 17" Tong Fang, if I customize them both with the same parts I want (dual channel 16 GB, 1 TB NVMe SSD, Windows pre-installed) they come out with almost the same price (about less than $10 difference), so not a big deal to me.

Though I do like that Eluktronics offers an upgrade to the battery (at the cost of having no 2.5" HDD bay, which I don't care about), and even with that upgrade, the price comes out still roughly same with the one in HIDevolution, so if ever I end up buying the Tong Fang, I'll probably get from Eluktronics.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019