Thinking about getting a Yaris

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Jason, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Overclocker NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    So I'm thinking about getting a 2007 Yaris S Sedan, that has a salvaged title and that has only 23K miles on it. The guy is asking $6700 (the cars about $15k new + with the specs). The car is in excellent condition.

I saw pictures of the damage right after the accident. It got hit on the left passengers door and the door was replaced and there was a a big old dent in the body near the rear wheel. The guy claims that the frame was not damaged at all. The airbags were never deployed.

The price seems very reasonable. I want the yaris because it one of the top MPG non-hybrids on the market. EPA is like 30 city and 36 highway, although many owners report getting up to about 35city and 40-45 highway (if you drive slowly with the AC off etc).

So what do you guys think? Anyone ever bought a salvaged car before? Anythings to watch for? The guy bought it at a car auction and repaired it... I guess thats his business. I found the car on craigslist.

-Jason

2. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    ugh. i think you can do better than a crashed yaris for 6700$, but I am no expert.

3. lottdod_1999

lottdod_1999 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    do you have no taste? might as well get a ford to boot

4. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    Its a nice car but the frame might be bent from the crash, be very careful.

5. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  6. Azone

Azone Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Personally, I wouldn't want a salvaged Yaris. Actually, I wouldn't buy a Yaris or a salvaged car at all, to be honest, but that's another discussion. If you're looking to get good mileage, may I suggest a used diesel, namely one of VW's TDIs? I don't recall pricing on the used market, but their engines will last a long time, and getting over 40 mpg combined is easily possible. Plus, you get much more of a car.

Just a thought. But like booboo12 said, make sure to get the car inspected if you go after the Yaris.

7. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Salvaged = Stay away

Not only will it be dangerous to have(the balanced frame that was designed to protect you has been damaged), it'll also have zero resell value.

Stay far away.

8. Jason

Reputations:
    I do have pictures of the damage done, and like I said it was done to the back left passenger door. The damage did not look like it would affect the integrity of the frame or anything like that.

I would NEVER buy a car with a salvaged title if it had been in a front end accident for numerous reasons... Airbags would have deployed (possible airbag fraud), engine and parts could be damaged, frame could be damaged and like in the video you posted, that could be dangerious.

And yes, I would definitly bring the car to a trusted mechanic prior to purchasing it...

@ Azone, I've looked at the TDI's and they are terribly unreliable. Turbo's can go out, timing belt can snap and cause damage to the valves and require a complete engine rebuild. VW's in general are much more expensive to get work done than toyota's. I've even asked around on the TDI forums, and even most TDI owners admit their car's are money pits. Sure they can go 200-300k miles, but your going to have to put in 10k worth of maintanence to get it to go that far. The camry that I drive right now has over 150k on it, and its solid. No major problems just recharging the AC, oil, air filters, and a couple of mufflers over the years.

@ coriolis

Also, saying that it will have zero resell value is BS (no offense). People buy salvaged cars all the time. My sister has a Mazda 626 she bought a while ago at a good price, it had rear end damage, and a trusted friend of ours was involved in repairing it... I wouldn’t plan on selling it for several years anyways… I’d plan to drive it till 150-200k.

I also have a motorcycle, and plan on getting a 2nd motorcycle soon.

--------

I need a new car soon, and I can not get anything nice enough (that’s not salvaged) for around the $6,000 that I'm willing to spend on a car.

I'm not interested in American or European car's. I would only consider Japanese car.

9. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I was being a bit extreme on the resell, but if you're going to drive it into the ground, then that's fine.

If the damage was really just the back passenger door, then that's somewhat tolerable, but again, damage is still damage, the structural aspect of the frame will never be the same. It just irks me that to save a few thousand, people buy salvaged/written off/rebuilt vehicles. They're not the same vehicle that was designed to protect the driver and its passengers, and anyone who rides in a vehicle with me I won't risk their well-being for such an issue.

$6000 is a decent amount, after you narrow down your choices, perhaps look at enthusiast forums and look at their marketplace if someone is selling a used car, I helped my cousin purchase a used 07' IS250 AWD for $22k Canadian from someone on a modding community, he was asking for $26k, I offered and he took it. Did a CarProof + mechanic inspection, perfect condition, summer driven only.

10. Jason

Reputations:
    Getting the same car that I was looking at the Yaris S sedan with that amount of miles and that year, would cost me at least 10k (if I get a really good deal), maybe 11 or 12k.

6700$ is considerbly cheaper...

I mean I could get an older corolla, camry or civic or accord or something with like 80k miles on it and like a 03-04, but getting an older just doesn't interest me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.