Thinking about a new Hybrid...

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by lmychajluk, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, all! It's been awhile since I hung around here, but I'm back now that I'm thinking about a new laptop or hybrid.

Looking mostly for portablity (I travel often via motorcycle), but something that has a bit of power to it (for some light photo editing and gaming, and maybe some dev work as well) and have been looking at the MS Surface Pro or Surface Book Pro w/ Performance base (near the top end of either, w/ i7, 16GB RAM, 512 or 1TB SSD). This may also serve as a VM client for work, where I would dock it with dual monitors, so I'm assuming whatever I get would need to support dual monitors (or more?).

For comparison, my current primary PC is a Asus ROG G53SX i7 (2630QM) with 12GB RAM, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M, and dual HDs, one of which has been swapped for an SSD. It does pretty much everything I need it to do at a reasonable clip, but is a beast and has no battery life, so it basically lives on my coffee table. I also have a Surface 3 and like the form factor, though it can be a bit slow at times and I would prefer a slightly larger screen.

I haven't kept up with hardware trends lately, and my primary concern is that the hybrids that I'm looking at are dual cores compared to the quad core of my current laptop, though I understand the newer gen chips would be faster in general(right?). Would my photo editing tasks (ACDSee) and gaming (CMANO) that could take advantage of multi-threading take an overall performance hit? I"d be OK with about the same level of performance, but obviously would prefer an 'upgrade', given that I don't buy a new PC every year (more like ~4 years). Any thoughts on performance comparisons between the top end Surface machines and my G53SX?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. tesm1th

tesm1th Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    "Portable" ultrabooks are never good for gaming, even with aged 940MX. Even if there is dGPU, cooling wouldn't be great
    You should get ultrabooks with Thunderbolt 3 x4 lane, so you can connect eGPU docking. the external docking allows you to change desktop GPU.

3. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks. I understand that. But, as mentioned, I think my old G53SX with the GTX560 is adequate for my PC gaming needs, so I'm not concerned with having the latest and greatest GPU or building a killer gaming rig. The games that I would play while on the road wouldn't be fast-paced or graphics intensive, more like turn-based strategy or RTS (i.e., Age of Empire, Company of Heros), maybe some simple FPS (World of Tanks, not COD), and simulation games. CMANO, which I'm currently into, is a sim with very basic graphics, but can be fairly CPU-intensive when doing all it's calcutions, but runs fine on my current machine. I'm asking more about what I can expect in terms of processor performance between my older quad core 2630QM (@2.4Ghz?) vs. the current gen Intel Core i7-7660U dual-core running at 2.5-4Ghz in the top end Surface machines. Running a benchmark comparison of the 2 CPUs seems to show the newer 7880U as just slightly faster than my older 2630QM, but how does that translate to real world performance?
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=878&cmp[]=3016&cmp[]=2999
    (Link includes one of the latest 4-core mobile Xenon processors just for comparison.)

Thanks agian!

4. tesm1th

Reputations:
    But anyways, the Thunderbolt 3 interface bottlenecks the GPU more powerful than 1060 as I heard.

Dual-cores are never great for 4K video editing. You may want to compare by single core performance of the CPU x the number of cores. Higher the multi-core performance, the better.
    If you can wait for ULV Coffee Lake processors, they are more practical as well as efficient.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Go for non ULV CPU either HQ or HK Intel BGA CPUs. With ULV CPUs you hit max TDP often which will throttle everytime.

6. tesm1th

Reputations:
    The limitation is it's more power hungry, therefore it is put on bulkier laptop, less efficient and less practical.

It's just less practical with "portable" ultrabooks.

7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Not at all, you can tweak it for more battery life using ThrottleStop where you configure 2 profiles that changes based on power source.

8. tesm1th

Reputations:
    It also outputs more heat than ULV CPUs, so it is more dependent on bulkier chassis.

This has limited the portability of such laptops. There may be people who prefer more portable ultrabooks, but still want better 4k video editing capability.
    So imo I think Coffee Lake quad core ULV CPU is a changer.

9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Then you might wanna incline to macbooks. Get a ULV chip that can run at 28W on turbo boost or more, that will serve your needs w/o thermal throttle.

10. tesm1th

Reputations:
    What the, MacBooks? They have bad, crap cooling and they can barely run under load! Unbelievable...

Starlight5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.