Think I might buy one of those new camaros in a year or so

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by lottdod_1999, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lottdod_1999

lottdod_1999 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I might go with a Transformers theme.. not sure yet. Yellow sure does look good.
    Blue is my favorite color but it never looks good on these kinds of cars.

I'm really just buying it for the style. I mean really what does a fast car mean anyway since all I'll be doing is going 40-50 mph in the city..

2. bamaster

bamaster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Exactly. If you're looking for fuel efficiency, you shouldn't even be looking at the Camaro at all. And if you like to race at all you'll want the bigger motor.

The new Camaro SS is the reason I dropped $11k in my Mustang with a supercharger. It has 426hp under the hood. My Mustang has 427 at the wheels. Soon to have 450+.

When they were announcing the Camaro they were saying that competing against the Mustang is a dog fight and they wanted the biggest dog. That's why the Camaro SS has 120hp more than the Mustang GT.

3. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    What about a Japanese muscle car, the Nissan 350 or 370z :p

4. bamaster

Reputations:
    It's probably just me, but I've never considered those cars "muscle" cars. They are fast and better at corners. But it's a different class of car.

But they sure are pretty! You're either in one camp or the other, though.

5. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    I am more of a light weight car and small engine for acceleration and going around corners rather than the big V8 lumbering down the street.

But if you are going to get an American Muscle car I like the Pontiac GTO (with the corvettes engine). I know it exists under other names in different places.

6. lottdod_1999

Reputations:
    WHY?
    why can't a person buy a car just cuz they like how it looks?
    I'm not a racer. I go the speed limit in all circumstances.
    What, 305 hp isn't enough?

7. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    i was looking at the inside line review of the camaro and while they liked it they said the blind spots are HORRIBLE and that there is too much body roll

8. bamaster

Reputations:
    Well, you were asking if it was too impractical, which implied to me that you were looking for something practical. A Camaro V6 get 17mpg in the city (29 hwy, that's probably 6th gear with a stick). Get an automatic and I bet you're getting 15mpg in the city. No, not practical.

If you don't care about being a fuel saver, I say spend the money on the big V8. It claims 16mpg in the city (24mpg hwy). But realistically, you're probably looking at 13-14mpg in the city with an auto with any bit of aggressive driving.

Is 305hp enough? Not for me. But for most everyone else, I'm sure it's far more than they need.

You asked opinions so I gave one. Here's another opinion, don't listen to strangers on a forum for car buying opinions. Get what you want and to heck with us. But that's just me.

9. lottdod_1999

Reputations:
    Well yeah it'd have to be automatic
    Yes I care about fuel and I want the cheapest Camaro possible, there is NO reason for me to get anything over 200hp so 300hp is great.

10. bamaster

Reputations:
    This Camaro is the first Chevy I've ever considered trading in my Mustang for. No, not a Vette... the 2010 Camaro SS. It's got body and bite.

If it's calling out to you... V6 or V8... get it. At least test drive it, huh? I'll tell you this much, I get about 14 mpg and it is WELL worth the fun that my car gives me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.