Thin tape over gpu

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by beanbag7, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beanbag7

beanbag7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am currently repasting my GPU, before I put this back together I just want to make sure this is normal. On the GPU there is a thin film around the processor, but under it there looks like there is quite a bit of gunk, is this something I should pull off and clean or just leave it there?

Thanks for your responses.

2. ConceptRage

ConceptRage Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not my picture its from the forum im pretty sure you are talking about this?
    [​IMG]

Photocred* Wasaki

3. beanbag7

Reputations:
    That is correct, I have repasted a few times now but only achieved around 60c idle - 95c load, I am kind of curious if that stuff might be the reason I can't get better temps. (20-23c ambient)

4. svl7

svl7 T|I

Reputations:
    You can remove this without any problem, but it won't make any difference regarding temps.
    Some manufacturers have this around the die, it's mainly there that the paste doesn't get everywhere.

5. Yiddo

Yiddo Believe, Achieve, Receive

Reputations:
    Make sure you are using IC7 Diamond to repaste with it sets like concrete and I have tried every paste under the sun and never got below 90 until I use ICD.

I posted my latest results here it just runs gobsmackingly cold 82oC max under extreme burn with all settings maxed and my clocks below.

Dont expect much difference on the CPU.

6. DCx

DCx Banned!

Reputations:
    That's actually fairly normal - I've got a thread in my sig with links to about 15 other people who have repasted and still end up with 95s. Myself included.

So there are a few people who get amazing temps, but that is *not* the norm.

7. Yiddo

Reputations:
    What paste and method did you use if you dont mind me asking? Or are you in a hot tub in the Bahamas with 3 russian ballet dancers, always a possibility :D

8. beanbag7

Reputations:
    Alright, I actually noticed something this time, when I was screwing the GPU heatsink screws in, #1 could still be moved up and down even thought it was as tight as I could screw it in (without applying a ton of pressure), while the others wouldn't budge when screwed in.

9. Yiddo

Reputations:
    Try shifting the heatsink round a bit and make sure nothing is blocking the hole the screw goes into.

If not that means it is not threading the actual screw should not come out of the socket its spring loaded. Are you able to move the heatsink at the corner where screw 1 is? If so that is bad news. However I believe that 1 is the top left hand corner?? and I found the heatsink tilted upwards at the bottom so you may be ok with the other 3 screwed down however its not good recommend you get a replacement crew. If it is not air tight bubbles can appear at the corner and it was what happened with mine because ASUS did not even bother screwing one corner in properly and it burned upto 102oC.

10. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    I am too amused that Dallers is a retelling of my own story :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.