thin laptop for photo editing

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by senokir, Jul 1, 2018.

1. senokir

senokir Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I need some help to decide which laptop do buy to replace my 5 years old one.. this is what I look for:

1) What is your budget?
    up to $2500, but the less, the better...

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15.6" or 17" if not too heavy
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: no preference
    b. Dislike: Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    new only
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Editing photos (pro photographer); but also daily normal non-professional usage. I don't do gaming.. when i do, I go for light offline games.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    I travel a lot. So I do need it to be as light and thin as possible

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Sort of. I play Kongragate games when online... not much when offline, I think Football Manager was the game I played recently that used more from the machine power I had.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    more than 3h is ok.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Win 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    As I will edit photos on, I need a laptop with a high color accuracy and gamut; I read a lot of stuff and I'm not yet sure if I NEED 4k or if FHD is enough for that.
    Don't really care about 60Hz or 120Hz or 144Hz on it and so on, just about the color gamut and accuracy..
    Will probably calibrate it if it is not calibrate from factory.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    prefer matte/non-glossy
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    yes

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    within 1 month

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    5 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    1Tb should be enough. I got last week a pair of 4TB external drive, to store my past years of work, so I may keep only the newest work and personal stuff on the new drive. I survived these 5 years using only the 1tb HDD of my current laptop; so 1Tb should be enough.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    no.

So, based on all this, I will point a few models I've been thinking of but I need a little advice to choose from..
    - Dell XPS 15 (4k, i7 8th gen, 16gb ram, 1 SSD drive of 1 tb) $2400
    - Aero 15x (4k, i7 8th gen, 16ram, 2 SSD drives, would get with 512GB then upgrade later on) $2600
    - Asus ROG Hero II (FHD, i7 8th gen, 1HDD and 1 SSD drive, would get with 512 SSD and 2Tb HDD) $2200
    - Aorus X7 *17"* (4k, i7 7th gen, 512 SSD and 1tb HDD) $2000

I'm still open to new suggestions, if there is anything else to consider..
    Most of the models with 4k have FHD options as well, cheaper, so I really need to know if to use a 4k monitor makes that much difference..
    I haven't mentioned the Graphics card so far because... it doesn't really matter, I think.. I'm not gaming on it, so any modern Geforce should be ok.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Xps. Stay away from anything asus, terrible quality and even worse customer service.

3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Either:

Custom Built Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ FHD Non-touch or 4K UHD Touch nVIDIA GTX 1050Ti and i7-8750H

or

If you want 4K:
    Custom Built Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ 4K UHD Touch nVIDIA GTX 1050Ti and i7-8750H or i9-8950HK

Although make sure to read this thread before you hop on to the 4K Bandwagon:
    How does anyone in his right mind buy a 4K screen laptop?

Or take a look at this as well:

Custom Built MSI GS65 8RF Stealth THIN-053 15.6" w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q

of if you want thin but 17 inches, then check this:

Custom Built MSI GS73 STEALTH 8RF-016 17.3" w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q

If you email donald@hidevolution.com , you can get the NBR Discount

HIDevolution has great customer service and superb build quality so you are sure to get a laptop that works great out of the box. Also, Dell's support is not that great so with HIDevolution you also get their lifetime tech support which is a peace of mind for that time that you do run into issues (hopefully not)

senokir likes this.
  4. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Get the Aero 15X, the 4K panel is pantone certified.

5. Xocomil

Xocomil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered a Xps 15 FHD for video editing / writing, etc. While waiting for it to be shipped I've checked out the MSI GS65. Wondering whether to cancel my order for the XPS, as the video card is beefier (1050i vs 1060). Played with the GS65 in a store yesterday and it is nice.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Will you be gaming?

7. senokir

senokir Newbie

Reputations:
    If I customize the XPS on hidevolution website with 4K screen, thermal pasting, and 1TB 970 Evo and the better wireless card it would reach aroound the $2.500 limit, after some discount, I hope..
    I also checked on reddit that some XPS users are having an issue with the fans, but I believe that is not for 100% of users. so I may have no issue if I get one...
    I also found the option of getting a XPS 15 9560 instead of the 9570 to be a good option, once the price now is waaaay lower($1,500) and I could get it with 4k display, i7-7700HQ, 512GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive and probably upgrade it whenever needed to a bigger ssd.

in the other hand, the FHD 17" screen of MSI GS73 STEALTH is "94%NTSC" but I found no reviews about this model so not sure if I can trust on this label of color gamut and accuracy. It's light for a larger screen, but if only I could find a review of that to see a real world performance and other details... the design, price and specs seems to fit my requirements.
    Also I found a 7th Gen i7 GS73 4K with all other good specs for a lower $2000 price tag, but also, no reviews about the screen on it found to see if it is worth...

The Aero 15X, seems good option, but pricey and also read people complaining about the keyboard and other issues..

sorry for all the doubts about that, it's quite an important purchase for me and I wanna get the it right.
    thanks a lot for those who helped so far

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  8. rlk

rlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Make sure you get the specs on the screen gamut. On the workstation-class machines (at least the Dell Precision and Lenovo P), the gamut is close to 100% sRGB only for the 4K screen; the FHD offerings have much less in the way of gamut (72% or even less). And some of the gaming machines that offer supposedly 4K screens really don't, and they're smaller gamut to boot. Sure, you can profile your screen and get reasonable gamut mappings with relative colorimetric, but it will still fool you. My old machine was a Dell M6500, which didn't quote the gamut but when I profiled it with DisplayCal it said it was about 72%. Colors on it were always very washed out, and when I tried to restore saturation to things like flowers or fireworks I later found that I way overdid it.

I like my 4K screen (Lenovo P70) for photo editing, personally. I also like much smaller fonts than most people do, though, and I find that the 4K lets me use dimensionally smaller fonts than FHD because there are enough pixels to improve legibility. I'm running Linux, so I can't speak to Windows.

Kent T likes this.
  9. man4mopar

man4mopar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good information on screen's in this article for GS65 chart has some comparison's as well. They are in line with the published 72% NTSC claimed. https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-G...070-Max-Q-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.302998.0.html

The GS73 has a claimed 94% NTSC as you are aware, I believe the GE73 has the same screen. https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-G...-GTX-1070-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.309006.0.html
    And the GT75 likely same screen as well.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-G...-GTX-1080-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.303182.0.html

September I will be in the market to replace my GS60 and color gamut, accuracy is important to me as well. Doing a lot of research now to pull the trigger then. Hope these links help you in your decision.

10. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Either get a 9560 from the Dell outlet or get the HP ZBook Studio G5.

Kent T likes this.