These 24 Senators want to let your internet history be sold

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hmscott, Mar 12, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't get why you keep trying to confuse the issue. :confused:

The issue is personal privacy and your ISP sharing your private internet usage without your permission or control of the content released.

Everyone's private internet usage is just that. Private. For them only.

Not for sharing, or enhancing someone's marketing plan's, or for selling directed products estimated as of interest based back to the private party.

It doesn't matter the intrinsic value of the particular datum, it's all private data that shouldn't be shared, and should be protected from uncontrolled public release.

Whether one person is more "important" or has information of a "higher intrinsic value" compared to someone else is irrelevant.

We all deserve the same protection of privacy. :vbthumbsup:

Papusan likes this.
  2. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    I think the issue then is that you assumed privacy was ever a real thing online in the first place ;)

If the Internet was ever a private place, there would have never been a need for HTTPS, SSL, VPN, etc.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sure, we understand that. In the beginning when the utility was isolated to novel diversion for most, it didn't much matter. Not that the use of the web is interwoven into all areas of personal dealings, privacy needs necessitate a different approach and a different attitude altogether.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    HTTPS all the things ;)

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's not me that thinks that, it's what every "normal" person that only has the context of physical property and physical boundaries affording "privacy" and how that maps onto their "internet usage".

It's that common place expectation of personal privacy that needs to be honored as mapped onto internet usage.

I know that in actuality everything is readable on the internet, depending on access to the raw data and tools for reading into the data to pull out human useful information.

I also know that just because something is possible, it doesn't mean it should be done.

In this case, it shouldn't be done. Private internet usage should remain private. Our trust was put in the ISP as the gatekeeper, privacy keeper, providing security to limit everyone else's access to our data and internet usage.

Whether internet users know it or not, the ISP's and those that maintain their security know it. It's been possible from the early day's of shared computer usage to see into the private accounts of users.

Just because all of that data is readable doesn't mean it should be made readily accessible to anyone else outside the boundaries of the ISP's access.

It's been a written rule for as long as I have been involved in IT, you don't read other people's mail. You don't go into their files. You don't allow others to do so either. The security of the customers data is the responsibility of the ISP.

The idea that the ISP would sell customer data is insane.

The ISP's have stepped beyond the walls of security the internet protocols were built to provide, and are allowing data to be shared that shouldn't be shared, the trust is broken and must be fixed.

Until the trust is fixed, we need to push out the care of our data further into another service that will provide security as it's product.

The ISP's that breech our trust, in order to get our trust back, are going to really need to work hard to gain it back.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Gabrielgvs and Papusan like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
  7. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Yeah, And maybe they get a good price on the finest pictures of yoo. Many sites, yes, you know... want them:biggrin:

hmscott likes this.
  8. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    From Sophos:

More of an academic hack than practical, and one that is easily solved by not using RC4 ;)

If you want something game-changing, look into how MD5 and SHA1 have been depreciated and why.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    The point is, the ISP / VPN provider isn't going to have the technology in place to crack https unless "someone else" "loan's" it to them:

How NSA successfully Broke Trillions of Encrypted Connections
    Friday, October 16, 2015
    https://thehackernews.com/2015/10/nsa-crack-encryption.html

Researchers Demonstrated How NSA Broke Trillions of Encrypted Connections
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016
    https://thehackernews.com/2016/10/nsa-crack-encryption.html

So, we can https + VPN to keep the ISP from getting at our internet usage, at least a big part of it :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Georgel likes this.
  10. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Me after things get so complicated so I start building a solar powered antenae to connect to internet

(just a joke, image no mine :))

[​IMG]

In other order of ideas, I do think that this thing is getting out of hand. Everyone having data about you kinda defeats the purpose of capitalism in the first place, everything would revert to comunism. Logically speaking, if everyone knows yer data this means yer habits and preferences are easily quanitzed, everything becomes targeted, no competition between producers, everything sold is actually fed to people, no capitalism.

Nobody would win from this :confused:

hmscott likes this.