thermals pad and vapor chamber P870TM-R (rtx 2080)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by lsflp, Dec 19, 2019.

1. lsflp

lsflp Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello friends, I need your recommendation, how thickness and in what position or if someone has a drawing to install the thermal pad in the vapor chamber using an RTX 2080 video card.

I Will apreciate your help

Thanks

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I thought HID were pre-shipping these done? For the absolute perfect fit buy a sheet of 0.5mm and 1mm pads and adjust as needed for best contact.

lsflp likes this.
  3. lsflp

lsflp Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    And is it possible to do something to reduce the high noise produced by the fans?

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can reduce temperatures but they are 12v fans.

5. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Prema Bios and/or Obsidian Fan Control lets you really zone in the level of noise you can handle, but thermals may suffer.

For the GPU, I use Superposition to test cooling solutions and try to get temps manageable. I ended up going with a mixture of Kryonaut and Gelid Extreme and
    now 4k optimized runs max at 69 with a 1080 with the VC with fans barely spinning up. Before it was peaking in the mid 70's.

For the CPU, I ended up using a shim mod (.5) with Gelid Extreme which dropped temps over 10c across the board and now CB20 stays in the 70's with the fans not even hitting 50%.
    I really had no choice as the top left quadrant was clearly not seated tight after a few pairing tests with some throw away MX-4 I had to test.

I also used some left over / fragmented Fujipoly 17 pads to increase surface contact between the CPU Heatsink and Vapor Chamber for some bonus cooling.

Most gaming now the system is near silent (relatively speaking).

I even removed the aux 1tb HD for even more reduced noise.

And Meaker is right. These 12v fans can be loud. I'm fine with having an aircraft carrier when benching, but for day to day use/clocks, it is not acceptable. I could force the fans
    to run at 30-50%, but I would rather optimize cooling so they will naturally stay below 50% when even gaming naturally with Prema BIOS.

Guntraitor Sagara and lsflp like this.
  6. lsflp

lsflp Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Thanks for your help and your time, I will do all your recommendation, and really its disgusting the "aircraft carrier" after of 30 min of play anything.
    The 2080 its really good video card.