Thermal paste on laptop CPU/GPUs (avoiding pumpouts)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by SJLPHI, Aug 6, 2020.

1. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I've recently tried using Arctic MX4 and my experience has been almost identical to Noctua NT-H1 several years ago.

Within the first month or so performance is exceptional then after that ~1 month mark, cooling performance drops to worse than stock unknown thermal pastes.

Upon opening up the cooling system, I always find all of the thermal paste has been pushed out from where they need to be (pump out). In such cases, I seem to always reach for Arctic Silver 5 and I am more or less happy for the following 3~5 years.

More or less what this guy is showing : but for both Noctua NT-H1 and Arctic MX4.

Above have been my experience for Lenovo T480, T430, T420, T410, W530 but Arctic MX-4 on my Alienware 2015 seems to be holding just fine even after 2 months so far.

I know there are many resources available online regarding thermal paste for CPU/GPU, but they don't seem to apply very well for laptops. Has anyone done some extensive tests with thermal pastes exclusively for laptops?

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Isn't it better to stick with other thermal pastes such as GC Gelid Extreme and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut?

3. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    I've actually never tried either of GC Gelid nor Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Have you tried them on laptop CPU/GPUs?

I've tried at least 10 different brands but I always come back to Arctic Silver 5 because they are cheap, abundant and reliable. I would never go as far as liquid metal but I am willing to experiment but I wish I had some positive results.

4. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Personally, I believe undervolting cpu/gpu and properly setting all other parameters in ThrottleStop can be more effective than new paste itself. I use GC Gelid, seems to be working fine, but again IMO this is just part of the set up, then comes TS settings and fans, most laptops have fans set to spin at too high temp to keep quiet, but that really makes everything run very hot. Even best paste won't help if your fans are not spinning and pushing the heat out.

5. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Pete, I am using my laptops for performance programming and gaming. Sound is the lowest priority and undervolting is not an option at least for my case.

I usually attach an external fan to the laptop vent to help with the heat dissipation and the thermal paste does make a huge difference in my case.

I should also mention, both on linux and W10, I tweak fan profile to hit max speed at 60 degrees Celsius.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  6. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Undervolting is not an option why?
    Its free performance and less heat generation that you are just throwing away.

cfe and Papusan like this.
  7. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Because first of all, I say again, performance programming, meaning using full CPU and GPU loads. I have a desktop counterpart with more power but I have to synchronize its clock speeds and thread uses on my "drafting" laptop.

Second, My Lenovo T480 for example has an i7 8th gen core (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8550u-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html) with 1.8Ghz base clock without boost. Boost gets me up to ~4.0Ghz, to undervolt this CPU is like mixing water with the fuel for your car engine to keep it from overheating. 1.79Ghz for example is completely unacceptable for anyone who lives in this century and does anything more than browsing the internet.

Third... This thread is about preventing pumpout, not why we should under-utilize our machines. I undervolt my toughbook, but again, this is not the topic of this thread.

Before we go further off topic. I want to figure out if others have figured out ways to prevent pumpouts, and what kind of experiences they've had using specific thermal pastes. For me, Arctic MX4 and Noctua NT-H1 are out. Arctic Silver 5 is the only functional choice, and I am willing to try other pastes.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Grizzly Kryonaut is a bad choice if you experience pump out with most good thermal paste
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ers-welcome-too.810490/page-803#post-11037924

Make sure that the heatsink fits perfectly on die. Warped/uneven heatsink is the main culprit for this behavior.

Try out ICD or Phobya NangoGrease Extreme. Probably the best choice outside fixing the heatsink problem. As well undervolt for lower temps.

Ashtrix likes this.
  9. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @SJLPHI, you are obviously not informed about the benefits of undervolting. Especially with ThrottleStop by @unclewebb.

Papusan and unclewebb like this.
  10. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I used Artic-MX4 for years, never noticed it pumping out unless the heatsink was crooked due to thermal pads being not the correct size/stacked pads, or outright a bad heatsink.
    I can confirm the Noctua NT-H1 on laptops sucks, it pumps out pretty fast.
    I have had good results with kryonaut, on my lapped laptop heatsinks, never used it on stock heatsinks so cant say if it will pump out or not in stock heatsinks.

Undervolting makes the CPU run cooler, how can it be like adding gas to a fire?..

Also, getting a U CPU and expecting that it will run at max boost clock is wishful thinking.

Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.