[Thermal Paste] How/what and where to buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Undertaxxx, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanish11

avanish11 Panda! ^_^

Reputations:
    Arctic Cooling MX-2 and Tuniq TX-2 are two thermal pastes that are also better than Arctic Silver 5 in almost every way possible, except for taste (kidding :p)

I haven't used either of them yet, but I will be trying Tuniq TX-2 soon on my cousin's new computer.

2. MrX8503

MrX8503 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was in this same position when I first did the heatsink spread method. How I got the right amount was to mount the heatsink twice.

Put however much TIM you think you need, mount it. Then remove the heatsink to look underneath to see if you put the right amount.

Compensate for the amount you observed, clean everything up, reapply the TIM, and then mount the heatsink back on.

Since the cpu core is a rectangle, your dollop should be more on the long side instead of a dot.

Yes, paste is way way better than pads, but before you replace your pads, make sure the heatsinks actually touch.

Sometimes the gap the pad occupies is too large for paste to fill.

3. pacmandelight

pacmandelight Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    One method that looked good to me for a desktop CPU was to put 5 small dots on to the IHS like 5 dots on a side of dice. Then mount the heatsink on top of the CPU. This resulted in very even TIM distribution over the CPU.

4. avanish11

avanish11 Panda! ^_^

Reputations:
    The one thing that I see wrong with that, is that it would trap air bubbles in the Thermal paste.

5. Undertaxxx

Undertaxxx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i have bought inovative cooling: diamond (extreme performance).
    The only thing i need now is a cleaning product, i've read about aceton (pure) and rubbing alcohol (99%).
    The as cleaning kit seemed too overpriced and its most likely the same as rubbing alcohol.

My question: Where could i buy this 'rubbing alcohol' ? a mate told me in a pharmacy or hospital.. but im not quite sure about that..

And is it called isopropyl ....?

anyway, i'd like to add something:

[​IMG]

These are my temps when undervolting, and putting my laptop near a window with alot of airflow.. (a bit to much maybe, but it works! ^____^)

Grtz~

EDIT:

I have opened up my laptop (backplate) unscrewed the heatsink which is on my cpu... but i couldn't get it loose. i might have missed or forgotten a few screws i don't know. When i was closing everything up again and tighten the screws from my heatsink, i tryd to put pressure on my cpu by screwing it really tight.

Now, i don't really know if this was a good idea, cause now my max temp has gone from 71 to 78-80 degrees.. How can i make sure this doesn't happen again? Or what did i do wrong?

Also i didn't see a heatspreader on my cpu: no metal shiny thing like desktop cpu's have.. How do i apply thermal paste onto it? and how can i fully unscrew my motherboard/heatsink?
    acer aspire 5920G...

Please reply, i need this to be fixed fast! I don't want to fry my cpu for beeing stupid or clunsy...

6. mystery905

mystery905 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Results of Arctic Cooing MX-2

Before (Arctic Silver 3) After (Arctic Cooling MX-2)

CPU Idle 40 36

CPU Load 75 61

GPU Idle 62 58

GPU Load 75 73

AS3 was cured; AC MX-2 required no curing time!

7. Undertaxxx

Reputations:
    New pics added, could anyone help/explain to me? i'm pretty worried about the high temps

8. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Been using AC MX-2 for the past 3 years, I'm still using the same tube :D

Works great, I've applied it about half a dozen times, well worth the $3!

9. Undertaxxx

Reputations:
    Ok its good, we know it.. but what about my laptop?

10. mklym

mklym Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It sounds like, from reading your previous post, the heatsink was being held onto the CPU be the surface tension of the TIM that is installed. The reason for the increased temps is that you probably got some air in between the CPU and heatsink, when you tried to pull it off. It does not take too much air to raise your temps. I would suggest removing the heatsink and apply the IC7. The screws on most mobile CPU heatsinks are numbered, for order of loosening/tightening, usually between 3 and 5. If you remove all the screws, it can still require a surprising amount of force to get the heatsink off. If you can twist the h/s back and forth a bit, that will help.
    To clean the CPU h/s, use isopropyl 99% and something lint-free, like a coffee filter.
    Go over the instructions on the Innovative Cooling website re: application. You do not spread it like Arctic Silver, but put a spot in the center on the chip.
    I have had great results with IC7. Best of luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.