[Thermal Paste] How/what and where to buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Undertaxxx, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Undertaxxx

Undertaxxx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi

WARNING: I'm a complete noob! I know verry little about thermal paste etc.

I'm new in this large comunity and don't know if this is the right section to post this.

I have the folowing notebook:
    Acer Aspire 5920G
    Cpu: Intel Centrino: T7500 Dual Core ~ 2.2Ghz ...
    (Cpu runs at 50°C idle and can go up to 90°C when stressed!)
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9500m GS.
    4 gigs ram.
    300gb HDD.

SCROLL DOWN FOR MY NEW PROBLEM

Anyway, My questions are simple (I think, lol.) :

-First of all!: Is this possible? I mean, i know you're able to do this with normal computers, but i'm not sure if it's possible with a notebook/laptop.

-How can I apply Thermal paste onto my T7500 prosessor?
    (Just squirt and spread? Or what?)
    -Is this a good way to lower my CPU temperatures?
    -What's the best Thermal Paste? I've heard something about Artic Silver 5?
    -And last but not least: Where can i buy this?

RESULTS OF UNDERVOLTING (T7500 @ 2.2~)

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

AFTHER

[​IMG]

TEMPS NOW -.-

Read on page 5 to know what i did, and where i went wrong/messed up.

[​IMG]

I need help with:

-How to disasseble the heatsink/gpu card/(maybe whole motherboard out of my laptop case?)
    -How to make sure nothing is going to overheat etc.

2. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    well when I got my laptop it reached 85C in 1min running ORTHOS.
    after I change the thermal paste to some coolermaster paste (since it's what I had) the maximum temp went to 74C.
    I did spread the paste evenly and on both the CPU and the heatsink. I made the thinnest layer that I could and the most even layer.
    Also before I did that I removed the old paste with some metholated spirits.

Now I went to the undervolting thread and followed the instructions, the maximum temp now is 62C. Right now the temp is 32C, and the laptop is on my lap so the air vent on the bottom is blocked.

Edit:
    I took my volts from:
    6x 0.8500V
    7x 0.9500V
    8x 1.0357V
    9x 1.1375V
    10x 1.2375V

to:
    6x 0.8500V
    7x 0.8500V
    8x 0.8625V
    9x 0.9125V
    10x 0.9750V

Edit: BTW my CPU is a T7300 @2ghz

3. Undertaxxx

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if i can 'under-volt' i'll check it in a minute tho, thx for the reply

4. sean473

sean473 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i got a few hassle free solutions for u.

1. Buy a notebook cooler.

2. Raise ur laptop and blow air below it using a big fan
    usually keeps ur laptop very cool. Does a good job with mine.

5. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    Anyone can undervolt. Check out the guide in this forum; it gives you everything you need to know and all the tools.

Thermal paste is a good way to lower CPU temperatures, but keep in mind that it probably voids your laptop's warranty if anything goes wrong. If you're careful, though, nothing wrong will happen. I recently sent my laptop in to Dell with thermal paste on the GPU and CPU, and they never noticed, or didn't care.

Arctic Silver 5 is an excellent choice for thermal paste. OCZ Freeze is fantastic as well. Either of these should do the job quite nicely.

6. avanish11

avanish11 Panda! ^_^

Reputations:
    The best one is ICD7. I thought my temperatures were already fantastic with the stock paste from Asus. It was 59 degrees at load for the CPU and 64 degrees at load for the GPU. ICD7 brought the temperatures down to 54 degrees and 59 degrees respectively.

most thermal pastes will want you to make a VERY small line down the CPU core, the size of a rice grain. ICD7 says that the best way for notebook CPU's is to make a ball of paste 3mm across in the middle of the CPU core, and put the heatsink back on it. The heatsink will flatten the ball and spread the paste around.

here's the link to it:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7...hermal_Compound_-_15_Grams.html?tl=g8c127s754

This tube will last for about 3 desktop CPU applications or around 5-6 laptop CPU applications. It's 94% diamond so it's a bit on the expensive side, but nothing crazy. Is it worth it? Definitely.

Edit:
    That one's out of stock. Here's the bigger tube.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7...hermal_Compound_-_48_Grams.html?tl=g8c127s754

It's 3.5x bigger than the other one.

7. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    ^Yeah, application is different for desktop CPU's, which usually have their own heat spreaders, and mobile processors, which are generally bare-die. With the heat spreaders, you have to spread paste a lot more. With bare dies, you may not even need to spread due to the relatively small surface area.

8. Undertaxxx

Reputations:

@sean473 : Actually i have a notebook cooler, but it doesn't do sh*t.
    I always raise my laptop when i can (and when im not using the cooler >.>) to maximize the air circulation. :rolleyes:

@Mastershroom: Thx for replying, ill check out the undervolting, see if that actually helps. BTW: what do you mean with "bare die" ?:eek:

@avanish11 : Well you said something about making a ball (3mm) and then just put the heatsink back on it.. the thing is: im not sure where exacly my cpu is located. I recently removed my backplate to remove any dust particles to make sure there's a smooth air flow, and when i looked closely, i was able to see my cpu without a heatsink on it.. now i might be wrong..
    Would it help if i posted a picture of that?:confused:

And also, is applying thermal paste a risky action? Is it conductive? Will it damage my motherboard if i mess up?

Grtz, and thx for the help, alot of my questions are answered already :)

9. avanish11

avanish11 Panda! ^_^

Reputations:
    ICD isn't risky to use at all. It's not conductive, but the Arctic Silver 5 paste that everybody keeps recommending IS conductive... This is the one reason why I don't use/recommend it.

Before you apply the new paste, you'll have to remove the old stuff. Get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol 90% purity or higher, and put it on a paper/fiber coffee filter to use to wipe off the old paste from both the CPU and the heat sink.

The CPU should be fairly easy to find. If you don't see it with the bottom of the computer's case taken off, you might have to take out the keyboard and check to see if the CPU is there. If not, well, then we have a problem because you HAVE no CPU :p

10. Undertaxxx

Reputations:
    lol thx for the advice,

Indeed i read on these forums that Artic Silver is conductive and not THAT much better then the others (For example the one you recommend)

I'll order some tomorrow.

Right now im doing stresstests to see if my Undervolting is stable.

Right now i decreased the max temp from 92°C to 80 °C by changing the max volt from 1.237 to 1.100.

I'm still lowering the values and running tests, I'm hoping to get it somewhere around 70-75 max, that would be great. Then when i applied the paste im hoping to reach something from 65 to 70. =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.