Thermal Pad Guide for Alienware Area-51m (9900K + RTX2080)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by S.K, Jul 4, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    For Alienware Area-51m desktop replacement laptop, 1, 1.5mm and 2mm are used (3mm only on one place). Best way to measure what your particular machine needs and avoiding any manufacture related inconsistencies is to take the stock pads out, measure them against your original ones and put in the same thickness ones that you took off. Or you can use a pressure measurement paper to see which pads give you the best contact. Here is my setup that should help you getting started with the repad on this machine:
    [​IMG]

In the above image, where I've written "1 or 1.5mm", only go with 1.5mm if you have REALLY soft and supple pads. If you are using firm pads like FujiPoly or other similar pads, I'd recommend going with the thinner 1mm pads instead. Also, the 3mm pads are needed on 2 mosfets that are hidden under that silver beauty cover. You'll have to cut it on that edge to expose them and put thermal pad on them.

On CPU side:
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the pots in the background as I took this picture in my kitchen where I have mounted my ultrasonic cleaner.

Original post was made here, but as per request from a lot of people who are finding it difficult to locate this information, I am posting this as a separate thread.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    JHY47, triturbo, VoodooChild and 5 others like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Please add that the thickness of thermal pads may vary with different hardware and heatsink since Not all hardware are created equal.

c69k, triturbo, Papusan and 4 others like this.
  3. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Thanks m8!

VoodooChild, Vasudev and S.K like this.
  4. lostclusters

lostclusters Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @S.K what is this delidding tool I see referenced to?

5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    lostclusters likes this.
  6. lostclusters

Reputations:
    Is there some where in the owner's lounge where I can read more about this process. I am sure this is done to repaste. I'd like to know more about it. I'm sure the lid goes back on, right?

7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    This is only needed for CPU. The GPU cannot be delidded.

8. lostclusters

Reputations:
    @S.K I am guessing the copper upgrade lid will not fit the the 51m internal profile. Is this true?

9. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It will throw off the heatsink with the gpu. Might be able to make it work with balancing it with pad thickness. I’d suggest a normal delid with stock lid.

S.K likes this.
  10. lostclusters

Reputations:
    @S.K I was wondering what you are using for thermal paste these days. I read a post where you said you were going to switch over to Gelid GC Extreme from Thermal Grizzly Conductaut. Is that what you are using now?

Anyone else switched from Thermal Grizzly? They say not to use it on aluminum.