Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ethrem, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I know how to apply it but supposedly Sager replaced the heatsink when I RMA'D it so I'll have to investigate how flat this one is. My old one was only slightly warped but one of the screws stripped so I had to use needle nose pliers to tighten that screw down and to loosen it as well. If this one is warped like the original one (third CPU heatsink) there's no way CLU will make contact.

2. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lapping heatsink lol?

Good luck on fixing it and getting it out of the door.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    deadsmiley likes this.
  3. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    It was this good? Geez, I need to get the tube I bought a while back. I just hope it still works.

4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Yeah. I had a 15$ ebay coupon, i used it to buy 3 tubes. It is really good paste, and that this price, downright unbeatable. Get it while it lasts.

5. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    No, it doesn't. You simply need to soak it before removing, instead of rubbing it off with a cloth/swab/etc that has alcohol or solvent on it. It's in the instructions that you have to put solvent on it, or slowly remove it, but nobody listens and they just scrub it off, and then the diamonds scratch their heatsinks.

Simply put solvent (like Arcticlean) on it, go get some water to drink or something, come back, gently wipe off. If any remain, repeat the process with a smaller wait time for the solvent (as it won't be thick/coated on) and then you're golden.

Here's my GPU die being a literal mirror after I removed ICD from it the way I described: Before and After. Yes, that is my roof reflected in the GPU die.

CaerCadarn and Papusan like this.
  6. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    This is the cheapest i could find the 11g tube ($26)
    https://www.memoryc.com/pc-componen...kryonaut-thermal-grease-paste-11-1-grams.html

This tube lasted me 5 re-pastes on the GPU and CPU. This was when i was still trying to diagnose my GPU issue and realised my CPU heat sink was slightly elevated/warped on one end. Right now my CPU has CLU on the die and the IHS is 2000grit lapped.
    [​IMG]

Temps were about 5C higher for Prime95 15 min Small FFT run. This was a 5C Drop from GCE. But it will definitely depend on how well the heat sink makes contact with your IHS.

But yeah, Kryonaut is the best paste i have used. I used to stick to GCE for my desktop and it worked great for years, but for the laptop, it just doesn't cut it.

Ashtrix, Papusan and Ethrem like this.
  7. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nice find. My 1g tube shipped today but I'll keep that place in mind if I like the stuff.

bloodhawk likes this.
  8. Mr Najsman

Mr Najsman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My Explorer had a fit trying to access those links, FYI.

9. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    The links are fine, and from a legit and safe site (though not as well-known maybe). I don't know why your browser would freak out.

10. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I use this and like it. Got it off amazon a few months ago.

Sent from my overpriced Galaxy S6 Edge +