Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ethrem, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryneb

bryneb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What's the best way to tell how a laptop heatsink fits?

2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's a good question. In my experience you can work out if it's a good flat fit through your experience with repasting the GPU. I always start with a very thin spread of paste on the GPU or CPU (say paper thin or less), put the heatsink back together and then monitor temperatures immediately during game benchmarks to check to see it's OK. If temperatures are good with a very thin spread of paste then you've probably got a good flat heatsink with good fitment. If temperatures quickly increase after a few days or weeks then you'd be seeing 'pump out' of the paste and this would indicate you don't have a good heatsink fitment - in which case you'd take it apart and look at the contact areas in the paste to see if you can see signs of poor fitment in how the paste is spread. If you had poor fitment you'd probably then switch to IC Diamond paste to provide a better & longer lasting result. (You can also try to 'read' the paste spread the first time you take your heatsink apart from the initial factory installation).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    JRE84, Vistar Shook, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  4. all9everything

all9everything Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used kryonaut to repaste my gs43vr & it helped dropped temps 7-10c at load... its legit stuff but pricey. worth it though

joluke likes this.
  5. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. Grantman

Grantman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been using Kryonaut in my laptop for 13 months. Before repaste I would see cpu thermal throttling @95C within a few minutes in demanding games. After repaste temps dropped to around 87-93C under sustained heavy loads. No more thermal throttling, although certainly close.

My laptop has been completely thrashed during this 13months with the cpu living at 85C+ for extended periods most days. GPU usually peaks at around 78C.

I haven't seen a drop off in performance yet, despite the apparent 80C ceiling on Kryonaut. Goodness knows I've made a joke of that ceiling.

Given the g751 requires a complete teardown to repaste, I really want to see this Kryonaut keep chugging.

Vasudev and Robbo99999 like this.
  7. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's quite surprising given the high temps that it's not degraded the paste, but Kryonaut has been very stable for me too on my desktop with no change in temperatures since I first assembled this thing in Nov 2016, so nearly 3 yrs now, but max temperature spikes are like only 65 degC on my CPU which is well below that 80 degC ceiling that Thermal Grizzly talk about as the cut off point for thermal paste degredation over time.

Grantman and Vasudev like this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    On Alienware m15, I had core temp differences of around 10C from the start (in CB20). After a few months this significantly deteriorated so now looking to repaste with Phobya NGE.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  9. Grantman

Grantman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To update. I'd been using the Kryonaut for about 16 months with extended daily gaming abuse at around 90C on CPU and approx 80-85C on GPU for most of those days. A very intense durability test for Kryonaut given it's max operating temp is listed at 85C.
    It's coming into summer here so ambient temps had started to rise again and I noticed I was just tipping into thermal throttling territory on the cpu @ 95C on occasion. On top of that, the keyboard began to fail and given the keyboard is a nightmare to replace on the g751 (melting plastic rivets with soldering iron...), I figured while I was messing around in there I'd replace the thermal paste.
    Upon inspection, the Kryonaut wasn't dried up as in powdery, but it did have a clay-like texture that kinda wanted to roll into balls if you rubbed it. Also looking at the picture closer, there seemed to be some dry spots here and there like the lower and upper right corners of the gpu (pic shows the heat spreader opened like a clam shell, facing backward).

Having practically no Kryonaut remaining I figured I'd give Noctua Nt-H2 a shot. Both look identical btw, although Kryonaut specs are better @12.5W/mk vs NT-H2 8.9W/mk

So after repast I'm about 5-7C cooler on CPU and GPU under load at the same ambient temps of 25C, so it shows the Kryonaut had started to drop off a bit, but not drastically.
    There is no recommended operating temps given for NT-H2, just the temp limitations of -50C and +200C down on Kryonauts -250c +350C.

20191108_121442a.jpg

10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    To update, I ended up changing paste from Kryonaut to Phobya NGE after some 6 months due to core temp differences on my m15. The repaste didn't fix the differences, however, there temps are lower overall so would def recommend Phobya over Kryonaut. No change in temps between the two on the GPU.

joluke, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.