Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut vs Grizzly Kyronaut vs Arctic Silver 5

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by BigBoss5090, Mar 15, 2017.

1. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 5.1GHz

Reputations:
    That all sounds pretty and as expected the answers you will get from within the company will usually be glorified and/or sugar coated to always make it seem all rosy, but here's something interesting that I had just come across as I was reading through some threads...

A well respected NBR member...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...cussions-lounge.794968/page-250#post-10439044

Just sayin' ....:rolleyes:

There's no need to glorify 3M...we love 3M....what is being targeted here is a particular product.

At the end of the day, no matter how good the QC is, if the end result of what consumers are experiencing is not positive from a given product, then that is what matters and it needs to be addressed.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    @IC Diamond

Soaked the silicon multiple times within a 10-minute waiting period between each soak.

Your paste still scrubbed the lettering off my Slave 1080 die.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@MahmoudDewy @judal57

jaug1337 and Vasudev like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    If this is a big meaty problem... Why will not the whole die be likewise after cleaning? Much of the problem is user errors. Some people get more scratches while others get almost none of them. I do not see the big problem here. Have never seen reduction in thermal tranfer from die by use of ICD (ICD don't destroys the Die). You can even use Razor blade(not the more expencive Razerbook:p) to remove old thermal paste without destroying your chips (if you are careful:D).
    [​IMG]

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 5.1GHz

Reputations:
    You mean, because this is a big meaty problem. :p

There are many variables here and just because the whole die isn't scratched doesn't mean that ICD is exempt from the cause.

Perhaps we should invite @Shehary here to gives his insight on his experience. Shall we?...

"Okay so, @Shehary, as you can see from the posts on here, there are people who think that ICD is perfect and does not cause imperfections on the surface of the die(s)....Many of us know that ICD does scratch the die so we're just shedding light to bring this reality to rest, because there are some who oppose to this reality. Strange I know.... thanks for your input in advance."

ICD does destroy die(s), cosmetically and in theory (that makes sense if you think about it) with the scratches on the die you're creating more micro surface areas/imperfections, which in reality could degrade performance. Often times it does.

Keep in mind that we're dealing with a very small margin of tolerance here. A little will make a big difference.

It's like honing out cylinder walls of an engine...one tiny little imperfection can equate to a huge loss in power. Same concept here, except we're dealing with non-mechanical thermal dynamics.

We're already combating the micro pores of the copper heat sink to begin with so what would make you think that imperfections on the die(s) surface wouldn't be any different?

To each is own, but ICD is not that good of a paste, maybe on par with MX4 or AS5. I've tested it numerous times and although like a lot of traditional paste, it does okay under a certain load, once it breaks the breaking point, down the hill it goes.

ICD may be the best band-aid paste, but other than that, it is nowhere near the top. Fix the underlying issue of the tolerance issues first, instead of opting for a band-aid fix.

ICD scratches .. there are many variables that can exist, but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and flies like one, then it's a duck...

Simple.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    FrozenLord likes this.
  5. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    Yeah as I mentioned earlier, it always clears the lettering off the die

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    And this is seriously meant. Oh well. As you always say "To each is own". I will not derail the thread more as you have already settled your own opinion about ICD.

iunlock and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 5.1GHz

Reputations:
    Fair enough. :)

::iunlock::

Papusan likes this.
  8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    As far as I am concerned the thread has been derailed a long time ago despite its interesting content.

People will use what is fairly priced in their respective areas, for me thats NT-H1 as its like 2 bucks a tube and can be had in less than a day.

I think trying out LM could be an interesting experience though thinking about it for my y510p later

Also argument fallacies dont help discussion. Attack the idea not the one behind it.

jaug1337 and CaerCadarn like this.
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sorry for the necrobump, but why isn't Shin Etsu thermal compound on the list here?

Another somewhat ..uh...silly question:
    What exactly happens if you try using Shin Etsu G-30M or G-40M (silicone lubrication compound) in place of thermal compound?

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    older thermal compound, dunno if still holds up to the newer stuff

Vasudev likes this.
  11. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    I used Shin Etsu before and it was by far the best non conductive thermal paste I ever used regarding longevity & viscosity. Recently I can't seem to find it a lot in Germany.

12. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Trying to help a friend with ICD7, what is the best method to apply this to CPU die? I do not think the spreading method like gelid extreme works here, this thing is SUPER THICK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk