Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut vs Grizzly Kyronaut vs Arctic Silver 5

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by BigBoss5090, Mar 15, 2017.

1. BigBoss5090

BigBoss5090 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I read @iunlock tutorial on the 17 r4, wondering what others thing i should approach, I already have a tube of arctic silver 5 from my last rig build, but in terms of best performance and risk factor (brand new alienware) what should I do? comment away

iunlock likes this.
  2. Teknobry

Teknobry Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you benchmarked so you can get an idea of what your temps and performance are? You need a base to work from.

3. BigBoss5090

Reputations:
  4. SimplyJ3sse

SimplyJ3sse Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In modern laptops AS5, which I still use on my desktops to this day, is completely outclassed by both offerings from thermal grizzly. It does not perform as desired on laptops. Avoid it on them imo. @iunlock can give you more specific numbers and data.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Vasudev and iunlock like this.
  5. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    is not fair comparing an outdated thermal paste (artic silver 5) with a high end thermal paste (TG conductobaut). From my experience i can say you this:
    - If you are a beginneron applying thermal paste, please save yourself a headache and DONT use conductive thermal paste like Liquid ultra or conductonaut. They are the best but in the wrong hands can produce a lot of problems or in the worst case the damage of the entire motherboard.
    - Thermal Grizzly kryonaut is by far better than Artic silver 5 (12,5 w/mk vs 8.5w/mk) but we cant look only on conductivity, for example IC diamond 7 have 4,5W/mk but the performance is really good. the bad thing about ICD7 is the cosmetic marks it make to the die.
    -if you want liquid metal thermal paste, ask for a repaste to LHZ team ... i always forget the name hahahaha

conclusion: you spend a lot of money on a aw17 r4 and are going to use a middle-bad performance thermal paste .... go for Thermal grizzly kryonaut, is safe to use a a lot better than AS5, it have been proved before

6. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Tl;dr: you got lucky and have great temps - don't repaste, just undervolt and be happy, the temps will not get much better than that :)

I wouldn't even bother ;)
    Your temps are great (6°C differential between cores and less than 70°C at maximum in OCCT).
    There is not that much to be gained, especially considering that you got the 7700HQ and can't overclock!

If I were you, I'd leave it as it is and give it a little undervolt (1.13V max in OCCT looks like stock to me), which will shave off a few degrees.
    This laptop is a total PITA to disassemble and you risk quite a lot for little to no benefits.
    (I haven't had as great temps and have watched 4 technicians suffering while disassembling this laptop. It's built quite slim, so the innards are tightly packed and somewhat fragile - e.g. more than one user has broken their WiFi antenna while disassembling the laptop)

Vasudev likes this.
  7. pdogg93

pdogg93 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm curious why liquid metal is so difficult to apply? It looks like you put a pea dab on the die and paint it on? What am I missing?

8. SimplyJ3sse

Reputations:
    You need to cover the surrounding PCB with 3M super 88 electrical tape so that any run-out doesn't damage your mobo.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. BigBoss5090

Reputations:

But thats just during install so im guessing you can just remove it obviously after or?

10. SimplyJ3sse

Reputations:
    No the run-out is most likely to happen if your laptop is in a bag and the mobo is vertical. I sent my 15R3 to iunlock for his repaste service and he left the tape there after the install.