Thermal Compound Test

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Danishblunt, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Probably they do have dates when they expire.

2. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, 3M and Dow pastes have use by dates. I'm a little surprised the consumer TIM doesn't.

Well for reference, I'm using a 3 year old tube of MX4 on some stuff right now. I'm a weirdo and I've always been a thin film of paste install guy.

That T61, is running Windows 10 Pro, 1709, I just did my taxes on it, and without the undervolting NVS140M BIOS on it, it was installing Windows Update, and I had the cooler base off, it was idling around 40'C and peaking around 55'C.

I have an E8200 running at 3.23Ghz full load, after 4 days of full load, the cores are reporting 50-51C, with the fans strapped to the TRUE-120 running at less than 800RPM. I scrapped off the rock hard stock paste on a Asus HD 6850, bumped the core to 950Mhz, thrashed it for 2 days, and I was getting weirded out by the fan not revving over 40% and holding the temp at under 60'C. I did such a dirty lapping on it's IHS, I used 180grit emery cloth... So it's flat but not super smooth, nothing to catch a finger nail on.

That's running right now. It's running my wallet and a Monero miner. The CPU has been mounted for almost a month and a half. I did the HSF on a RX 560, clocked it to 1300/1900 beating on it, full load 55'C. The R7 370 I replaced the fan on, clocked at 1050/1500, runs at 70'C on it's own curve and closer to 60'C with the fan set at 60%.

These are nasty environments, and the MX-4 is old. I will update if the temps spike, on anything. I used to review TIMs back in the day, and I always hated how even using the exact same hardware getting repeatable results in mountings, was such a *****.

It's still shocking to me how many people use Arctic Silver 5, it was the grease that was tested by the US gov't and found that it wasn't 9w/mk, but actually 0.89w/mk.

I'm actually ordering some Coolaboratory Ultra, to put under a water block an FX. Maybe I should test MX-4 first and then see how much better the semi-metal is. I've lapped the FX flat and to 2000grit, so it's flat and smooth.

Maleko48 likes this.
  3. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Conduconaut is better than ultra. imo, easier to clean and seems slightly more effective.

4. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you plan on testing MX4 @Danishblunt ? I have a new tube sitting here I've been meaning to use. I don't trust Dell's factory TIM to last very long really.

5. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    I didn't plan on doing further testing. What my testing concludes is, that it's not only the tim thats important, but also the heatsink fit. So your results will vary from mine, however, when using a high quality tim, you can basicially expect around the same performance. So go for the MX4 if thats what you can get easlily.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I have found the thermal grizzly metal to be more consistent in composition too. I had an entire tube of ultra almost as thin as water.

7. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    jaybee83, sicily428 and Papusan like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    oSChakal, jaybee83, sicily428 and 2 others like this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    What's the non water cooled performance like with only two heat pipes per GPU?

jaybee83 likes this.