Thermal Compound Questions

Discussion in 'MSI' started by RalfTech, Jan 18, 2018.

?

Would you use IC Diamond on your GT73VR?

1. Yes

80.0%
  2. No

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RalfTech

RalfTech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello everyone! :)

I have been wondering recently a few things about the Thermal compounds in laptops.

1. When do you replace your thermal compound? (Let's say daily gaming)
    2. Anything better than IC Diamond?
    3. Does liquid metal paste create corrosion and is it worth it?
    4. IC Diamond vs Liquid Metal?
    5. What's trending with good temperatures in 2018?
    6. What to use to clean the old one off?
    7. Warranty void if I replace my paste? (GT73VR)
    Cheers,
    Ralf

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    1.) When your notebook is getting hot.
    2.) A couple but every thermal compound is pretty much way to similair to decide which one is "the best". Only thing you could use to improve temps by a little bit is by using Liquid metal.
    3.) Depends on person if it's worth it or not, if you're an overclock hungry person that counts every single mhz he can get then yes, otherwise no. It does cause corrosion with alluminmium and with copper it does bond weirdly over time. As far as I can tell it's only cosmetic.
    4.) Ferrari vs Porsche, prefrence.
    5.) Depends on hardware, GPU anything beyond 85c is meh, CPU anything beyond 90c is meh.
    6.) Alcohol.
    7.) Depends where you bought it, warranty is different everywhere. Considering you bought yours from HID I'd sayit's likely already pasted properly but in case your temps are getting high and want to do a repaste we can ask @Donald@HIDevolution about the Warranty they give. Pretty sure he will be the goto guy for you.

also we talk IC Diamond 7 or Diamond 24? One thing to note here is that liquid metal requires tight heatsink fit in order to work, if your heatsink doesn't sit tight, it won't work, then IC diamond is way better to go since it is way thicker and will close the air gaps.

RalfTech likes this.
  3. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Check this post brah: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...eview-by-phoenix.801314/page-11#post-10517550

Liquid Ultra is one of the best thermal compounds and on these MSI laptops, because the heatsink makes perfect contact with the CPU so IC diamond being thicker doesn't help with anything. It did help greatly when I had my Clevo P870DM3 due to their flimsy heat sinks but is not necessary to fill any gaps on these MSI laptops

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    RalfTech and Falkentyne like this.
  4. Spartan

Reputations:
    The only difference between IC Diamond 7 or 24 is the syringe size not the quality :rolleyes:

RalfTech, Papusan and Falkentyne like this.
  5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    I assumed the density of diamonds were bigger, seems that it is indeed only the size of the tube. Good to know.

RalfTech likes this.
  6. Spartan

Reputations:
    yeah that's what I thought too when I wanted to buy my syringe. sounds like its more powerful at first glance you know, like when you measure Gold or something the more the better right? very confusing. Heck a lot of websites on their configurator give you a choice between the 7C or 24C so people would probably assume that 24C is like better but it's just a bigger syringe :D

RalfTech likes this.
  7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Same marketing crap intel is doing with their I7 U series, which is more like an OC I3 and NVIDIAs 1060Max Q.

Ohwell, still good with systems that have massively crappy heatsink fits. Looking at your post it might also be rather bad with systems that have a really good fit, since it's a really thick paste and will probably get squished out, I should try it on my MSI notebook, since it works wonders on my Clevo with terrible heatsink fit but might be downright horrible on my MSI. Gonna post back when doing the testing.

RalfTech likes this.
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I look back to the days that you were dubious of liquid metal :D

RalfTech likes this.
  9. Spartan

Reputations:
    In deed, with my Clevo, I have gotten accustomed that IC Diamond is best, well for me at least it was on THAT system. So I continued using it on my MSI laptop but when I wasn't very happy with the temps and switched to Liquid Ultra, I got an immediate 10C reduction in temps at the same clocks which are 4.2 GHz x4 and heck now I don't necessarily need to undervolt to have good temps. Before, I had a -100mV undervolt with IC Diamond.

RalfTech likes this.
  10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    On my GT72

MSI:
    ICD: 71C 15min stresstest
    Kryonaut: 62C 15min stresstest
    Conduconaut: 61C 15min stresstest

On my clevo wiht a 4940MX conduconaut vs kryonaut on a tight CPU fit also had only 2c difference on a 30min stresstest. Similair experience has been made by kenglish on his clevo, so conduconaut really doesn't seem do that much for notebooks, I assume this is mostly due to the cooling not being as extreme as on desktop notebooks. Seems like ICD is indeed not great for tight heatsink fits. So I'll go ahead and recommend Kryonaut for @RalfTech

RalfTech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.