The Witcher 3 Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by 1nstance, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaze No Tamashii

Kaze No Tamashii Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The auto target can be bastard sometimes but you can actually choose your target when fighting multiple enemies by pressing A/S/D/W (the direction of your opponent) and left click, don't just spam left click. Not recommend using Z to lock on opponent, funny I only find that useful when 1v1. Or you can just hit and dodge then face the one you want to attack (Alt dodge not space dodge so you can still regen stamina). Dodging is extremely useful but careful to not get stuck between objects (the camera would be very bastard in this situation). In fact I hardly use parry unless I feel like having some fun. Invest your skill points in fast attack and later on you have spin attack to fight multiple enemies (very useful against humans). Don't get surrounded, you can always dodge your way out.

There is also a mod (Enemy Scaling and Gameplay Overhaul) which allows you to turn off the auto target but that mod requires you to manually adjust every option (tons of them) or it will literally render the game unplayable. There is another mod that's Better Combat Evolved and it allows you to have many skills (alternative signs, spin attack, parry arrow...) and those skills are automatically activated (can still add level up those skills). Though I wouldn't recommend using it since it's your first playthrough and it also changes crafting system, item stats...

2. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    man i haven't even finished this game yet! :p

hmscott likes this.
  3. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This game just isn't my cup of tea... I prefer battle systems that give me wait time... Call me whatever but ATB is lame for a strategist, especially a Libra strategist... I can't make up my mind about what to eat, what makes people think that giving me 2 seconds to choose a sigil (that's what they are...) or attack? I need time to plan a strategy which is why the old Square games work for me... except Ultimecia and Ruby Weapon... they can jump off a cliff........

4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    please keep the tone down and non-personal and on topic. I have had to edit quite a few posts here.

5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Hard to argue with this statement.

Well of course you haven't. What did you expect, a COD campaign in TW game?
    :D

Deus Ex is an RPG?!? Then again, Fallout 4 is also RPG. What! I've been told s

6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I tried to go back to Skyrim after The Witcher 3. Keyword: tried. Did not succeed. I got too used to looking at realistic faces and expressions as well as epic graphics (notwithstanding the decrease in poly count that's occasionally seen around the game - remember the garlic, guys?), and I just couldn't downgrade to Skyrim's plasticky and fake faces and expressions as well as crappy physics. There are mods (I have a list of some 175+ mods) but mods aren't the universal panacea when the base game isn't that great.

That's the best thing about Witcher 3 - the developers have got everything covered so well that I can't think of much where mods would improve on the game (except graphics, and combat on a KB/M set-up, which is honestly terrible).

killkenny1 likes this.
  7. killkenny1

Reputations:
    That's exactly how I am now.
    I spent a lot of time in modded Skyrim, and enjoyed it quote a lot (after a couple of days of installs and tweaks).
    But ever since I started playing TW3, Skyrim doesn't feel the same. I fired it up a couple of times in between my TW3 sessions, and man, I couldn't go back to it.
    I will admit that Skyrim has served me well, and maybe comparing it to a newer game isn't very fair. TW2 facial animations haven't aged well too, and both of those games came out roughly around the same time (2011 vs. 2012). That being said, FO4 should have been updated to meet today's standards. It looks so dated in animation department.

By the way, have you tried HOS yet?

Really? I think it works well with KBAM. Personally I feel very comfortable with KBAM controls.
    I do wish there was a search function in bestiary/alchemy/crafting menus. It would make things faster and better, not to mention, less terrible. I have requested this feature numerous of times on official forums, but so far, they didn't listen...

8. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    You didn't know?

9. jcw123

jcw123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same story here. Standards shift with time and what was perfectly acceptable a few years ago just isn't anymore today. I have spent countless hours in Skyrim (well, not countless, but around 180 hours) and obviously enjoyed the game a lot. But returning to it now after TW 3, the world of Skyrim just isn't what it used to be, even if it admittedly is a bit of a case of apples and oranges, as those games put the emphasis on somewhat different things.

I cannot bring myself to playing Fallout 4 yet and not just because I am still not finished with Batman Arkham Knight. Fallout 4 will most likely offer many of the things that made Skyrim great, but those facial animations and those textures :eek: I guess I will wait at the very least for a High Res texture pack.

As for KBAM, I also thought that TW 3 handled those quite well. Sword combat may actually be somewhat easier with a gamepad, but then again I suck at using a controller, so it wouldn't be for me, anyway.

10. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Haven't played DE1, but HR isn't exactly a true blooded RPG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.