The Witcher 3 Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by 1nstance, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Do you know how bad AFR microstutter is at 40 FPS? o_O

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No, but if you had let me try it on my own like I said I was going to, I would have found out :)

So how do you have TW3 set up?, and what FPS do you maintain?

3. Kaze No Tamashii

Kaze No Tamashii Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    well, but I still recommend at least install the mod for photo mode. Sometimes I just die a few times because I was too focused on taking screenshot (even though you can pause to take screenshot).

hmscott likes this.
  4. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    I bought it but haven't played. Haven't even finished the first 2 games yet.

[​IMG]

5. hmscott

Reputations:

I set LimitFPS=40 ; MovieFramerate=40, refresh to 40hz, and Vsync smooth. All the TW3 settings are on Ultimate, everything turned on.

The GPU temps are down 10c+ - 55c/62c, utilization is down from 95+% to mid-50%, and frame rate is solid at 40fps.

It's a good alternative if the fan noise is getting in they way, otherwise I will run it at 100fps/100hz with full OC, and full fan noise :)

Update: Played for a couple of hours on 40fps, quiet and didn't notice anything detrimental to game play or visuals. It sure is a lot quieter than Full OC + 100hz/fps. Will go back and compare.

Also, edited "users settings" HairWorksAALevel=0 from 8, makes the hair less distracting.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Well, now you have a neat new config tip to keep temps and fan noise down :)

Trying 60fps to see what the temps are there...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    I don't need to because Witcher 3 isn't some magical game that feels smooth in SLI below 60 FPS. Microstutter is very noticeable at 40 FPS, it's inherent to AFR so it affects every game. If anything TW3 is a poor showing judging by threads like this and this and that you need unofficial bits for proper scaling on 4K monitors.

Hell no. I'm not a masochist. 40 FPS is acceptable in single GPU but not mGPU. It might feel fine to you but you're not me.

8. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Try again. I turned off HBAO+ and its 60+ everywhere. Turned off Hairworks and its 80+... I just find the game to be boring. Too much riding around aimlessly and it has a stupid combat system. Its personal preference, I like WTB, not ATB. I know, I know... go in the menu and you have WTB but that's not the same. I really can't stand the targeting system and the fact that it targets enemies a billion miles away so you can be smacked by enemies close by either. Meh. No big loss. And I really don't get the CPU jumping 10C in the menu...

It didn't even stress out the GPUs (max fans but I think my fan controller in the EC is broken which is why I requested Sager replace the motherboard which they did not do and I can prove). Auto fans? 80C+ in minutes... max fans... you see the max.

Capture.PNG

hmscott likes this.
  9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Didn't you mention you wanted to have everything on?
    [​IMG]
    :D

Anyway, what's ATB and WTB. Can't seem to find what that means.

What's stopping you, my good man?

10. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Have a hard time getting into RPGs in general apart from Deus Ex and KOTOR. Witcher, Fallout, TES, ME, etc. not my cup of tea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.