The Witcher 3 Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by 1nstance, Nov 2, 2013.

1. 1nstance

1nstance Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Witcher 3!

[​IMG]

The successor of the (god damn awesome!) Witcher 2 brings several new features to the table, including:

• A mature, non-linear story drawn from player decisions, full of unexpected events and beliveable, memorable characters, with their own motivations and ambitions
    • Multi region open world. The world map is up to 30 times bigger than the map of Witcher 2 (which as already pretty god damn big)
    • Sail trough the wind-swept and rugged islands off the coast of the Northern Kingdoms
    • Explore multiple human settlements and villages including the thriving port city of Novigrad
    • Uncover mysteries that lurk behind each tree and corner in the territories still soaked with blood from the recent war
    • Dynamic and tactical combat. Unique, intuitive combat system blending a wide range of tactical elements with the most spectacular and dynamic combat sequences ever seen in a computer role-playing game
    • Living ecosystems. Communities behave with realism, the flora and fauna form a living ecosystem, and they all react to in-game events...
    • The best looking RPG to date (agreed, even heavily modded/ENB'd Skyrim/Fallout doesn't come close to this), competing with games in other genres in which the standard of visuals has traditionally been superior

... and much more! (I also dare to bet that mod support will be back like in previous titels!)

Trailer: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Debut Gameplay Trailer - YouTube

Awesome cinematic (they also have a realy awesome one for the Witcher 2): The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Killing Monsters Cinematic Trailer - YouTube

Site: The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt

Developer: CD Projekt Red

Platforms: XBOX ONE, PS4 and of course, the PC!

Release date: Soon

This game looks realy promising to me, and knowing CD Projekt Red, I expect a fully polished game at launch (CDPR is probably the only developer I know that that properly polish their games before they release them).

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Release date is is somewhere around Q3 2014, if I remember it correctly, so I guess no point in buying the new rig before that :D.
    Really looking forward to this game. I loved the first one and enjoyed every minute I managed to struggle through the second game, but unfortunately it's unplayable on my laptop.

You are joking, right?

long2905 likes this.
  3. 1nstance

1nstance Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hehe, I gues that gives me some time to save up for a new GPU.

Euhm, no. I have never had anny issues with their games.

4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Good for you (no sarcasm intended)!
    But they didn't release those "Enhanced Editions" for nothing.

1nstance likes this.
  5. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    I had the same experience - hoping the third game is better optimized than the second.

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    I wouldn't count on Witcher 3 to run any faster than Witcher 2 did on the same hardware. In fact, quite the opposite. Witcher 2 was not a poorly-optimized game, it's splendid visuals (my favorite to date) just came at a high price, which is to be expected, not to mention it had a built-in supersampling option. Witcher 2 looked absolutely gorgeous and played fluidly on a high-end PC. Witcher 3 looks to be even more impressive in the graphics department with equally steeper hardware requirements to boot. This is one of those games that's worth upgrading your PC for in my opinion.

7. ajnindlo

ajnindlo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Witcher II system requirements don't seem that high.

The Minimum Requirements

Processor: Core 2Duo 2.2 GHz or dual core AMD 2.5 GHz
    RAM: 1GB Win XP/ 2GB Vista/7
    Graphics: GeForce 8800 512MB or Radeon (HD3850 512 MB)
    HDD Space: 16 GB

The Recommended Requirements

Processor: Quad Core Intel or AMD
    RAM: 3GB Win XP/ 4GB Vista/7 Graphics:
    GeForce 260 1GB or (HD4850 1GB)
    HDD Space: 16 GB

8. Zymphad

Zymphad Zymphad

Reputations:
    Maybe for minimum,

But IMO Witcher 2 is still be the best looking single player game to date and to me it's the game that taxes hardware the most. I get higher framerate in BF4 at very high settings than Witcher 2 at high settings.

9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Haha I challenge you to actually play Witcher 2 with those systems. The minspec might get you 40 FPS at 720p Low if you're lucky, and recommended will get you 35 FPS at 900p Low.

6670 is minimum, GTS 450 is recommended:

1400_Low.png 1680_Low.png

And that's not taking into account that dual-core CPU's are a big no-no:

CPU2.png

Witcher 2 is another one of those games where the developer grossly underestimates the hardware requirements. I'd expect whatever system they list under recommended requirements to be able to hit 900p or 1080p High, but clearly that's not the case.

Witcher 2 is the most taxing game I have, and I've got some heavy-hitters in my collection. Even BF4 in Beta ran faster than Witcher 2 does. But Witcher 2 also has the best graphics I've ever seen, and unlike twitch FPSes it doesn't require a perfect 60 FPS at all times to be enjoyable.

10. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    The jury is still out on what the minimum specs will look like for upcoming "next gen" games, but I hope W3 will be better optimized than W2 to make use of modern quad core CPUs instead of requiring a flagship GPU to run smoothly. If I understand correctly, some of these upcoming 2014 games will be 64-bit and more CPU intensive than older games, less bottlenecked by the graphics card.

Witcher 2 might have looked great at 1080p on your desktop, but in my case, after dropping down to 720p and minimum settings it looked pretty bad on my laptop and was still too laggy to play. I pre-ordered the game back in 2010, long before the release date and was eagerly awaiting it, but it was so laggy that I've never played it beyond the first couple of areas.

Among all the folks playing PC games, there are many with quad core CPUs and mid-range graphics cards, but those with a super high end desktop and flagship GPU are a somewhat smaller minority. Currently, the most popular graphics card in Steam's hardware survey is the Intel HD4000, and the No. 2 is the HD3000. As you mention Witcher 2 was only playing fluidly on a high-end desktop PC, in my view that is the exactly the sort of game that can benefit from better optimization, to make use of the faster CPUs and more scalable settings to be at least playable at 1080p without a super high end desktop graphics card.

More recent games like Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, RAGE, Dishonored all run much better on my laptop at 1080p than Witcher 2 runs at 1280x720. Even the Crysis 3 multiplayer beta was playable at 1080p, but the frame rate was better at 1600x900.

At any rate I look forward to Witcher 3, but I'm certainly not going to pre-order this time. I'll wait to see initial reviews and if it turns out to require a flagship desktop GPU, then perhaps I'll wait a few years to buy the game at some point in the future whenever a mid-range laptop will run it. Also hoping the Cyberpunk 2020 game will not require a high end desktop.

killkenny1 likes this.