The updated GTX 1070 MXM model thread (2020)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by @tomX, Oct 14, 2020.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Kudos @tomx thank you for this thread +5 rep

If anyone is after a Gtx 1070 mxm this is my preference/order (Aetina isn’t listed as I haven’t had one yet). I have had at least 20 Gtx 1070 mxm cards and from what I can gather this is the order from which is the most reliable:

1) MSI GTX 1070 MXM - An over engineered marvel of a gpu, rarely ever has mosfet issues and clocks high whilst fitting most chassis.

2) Clevo GTX 1070 MXM - only for Clevos but can be modded into a normal laptop housing if you have the space :D I have noticed that these are fairly reliable but vram mosfet cooling isn’t as great as the msi or others to be honest which is why some of them end up failing surprisingly.

3) Quadro/Dell variant GTX 1070 MXM - A very safe choice, literally one of the best ones you can get too. Core quality on my sample was good and it performed great, even though it was limited to 100w. These can be pushed to 110-115w spec if your willing to do the vbios mod ;)

3) Zotac GTX 1070 MXM - I have had a few of these and they are actually decent, although they don’t clock as high as the MSI/Clevo or Dell variants they are mxm spec. However the 1070 tdp is limited to 100w like some others. I don’t mind this though... Oh yeah and the vbios definately needs to be flashed to allow internal edp signal

4) Last but not least Gecube/Eurocom GTX 1070 MXM - As much as I like Eurocom AVOID THESE LIKE THE PLAGUE. If you want your mxm card going up in smoke go ahead but I wouldn’t trust these cards. Mosfets used are underpowered for even the meagre 90w the 1070 gpu die pulls (wattage was revised by eurocom on further revisions). I mean really Gecube? You couldn’t engineer something slightly better??? Even the improved revision suffers from the same blowing up mosfets. If you changed all the mosfets on the board with some nice top tier stuff you’ll be sorted though :) but that’s something @Khenglish knows about way more than me :D
    Moral of the story adding more crappy mosfets doesn't mean a gpu can handle the 1070 chips rated tdp

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    giltheone, @tomX and mirage_bg like this.
  2. @tomX

@tomX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ahhh super news! Great Master @DaMafiaGamer spilling out the goodies! thank you!

So if we look at these Alienware models:

*** Alienware M18x R2 ***
    - it has been done with Quadro:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/m18x-r2-with-quadro-p5000-gtx-1070-is-a-success.813082/
    - it seems to have been done with a 1070 (but which one?):
    https://www.alienowners.com/threads/alienware-m18x-r2-gtx-1070.8095/
    https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/M18x-R2-graphics-card-upgrade-4/td-p/7641033
    https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/M18x-R1-possible-GPU-upgrades/td-p/7494767

I would imagine best options would be :
    1) MSI (with the same kind of work on the heatsink as with Alienware 18)
    2) Quadro/Dell variant GTX 1070 MXM
    Clevo is not an option because of the size/form of the card

*** Alienware 18 (Viking) ***
    Best options would be :
    1) MSI (with the work on the heatsink as done by you)
    2) Quadro/Dell variant GTX 1070 MXM
    Clevo is not an option because of the size/form of the card

Now the real question is who to choose from all the available Quadro/Dell variant GTX 1070 MXM models on the web as they all seem to be the black PCB dell variant... and there have been a few bad / sad stories with those chinese cards... according to @TheReciever .

3. deathwingbg

deathwingbg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great thread! I burned my MSI GTX1070 and now looking for a way to repair it or replace it.
    Problem is I just got the watercooling loop that is specific for the MSI 1070
    If you are interested in RTX2060 Super: https://perfectron.com/products/peripheral-module/mxm-gpu-module/sk2060

[​IMG]

The build quality looks solid and the company trustworthy... however with VAT and delivery the price goes to 1000$ :(
    There is MSI 1070 on eBay in USA ... with shipping + VAT price is around 500$
    upload_2020-10-15_17-33-12.png

thewizzard1 and expresstyle like this.
  4. @tomX

Reputations:
  5. johnbb

johnbb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Price is not that high actually, compared to AETINA's...
    But 125$ for freight charge! LOL
    Anyway now that nvidia/amd killed the mxm standard, we can now only rely on private manufacturers for MXM cards...
    Unfortunately we will all switch to BGA rather sooner than later... :(

6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Dont be silly most of us moved to desktops lol

Im sure most of us have a socket machine in the closet that periodically gets some love every now and then.

7. @tomX

Reputations:
  8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I've been working with another in regards to the P750ZM in my sig, I think you guys will like it :)

All roads lead to Clevo sadly lol

9. johnbb

johnbb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, even Clevo switched to BGA GPU for the RTX Super on their latest laptop... What a pity!

10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ?

The X170 still uses an MXM 3.1 GPU.