The Upcoming ThinkPad X230, X230i, T430, T430i, T530, T530i and W530?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by moocow_cn, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjefferson

sjefferson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i'm waiting for T430

since intel 4000 will be significantly faster than intel 3000, is there a point in getting discrete graphics model, especially since it's likely that it will be at best equipped with low-end Nvidia model?

2. XX55XX

XX55XX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The current SB chipsets won't support Ivy Bridge chips. Intel has mentioned this many times already. If you like the old chassis/keyboard, you will have to keep your T420 indefinitely, perhaps.

I, for one, welcome our new chiclet overlords. Though the new layout doesn't faze me.

3. power7

power7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, the new layout is not great. It's interesting how Lenovo first makes Esc and Delete keys largest of all, and it is convenient, yet in the very next iteration these are one of smallest keys, with even PrtSc being considerably larger.

Anyway, it's possible to get used to even this in a couple of days. One thing that Lenovo should do, however, is to release a new USB keyboard with the exact same layout. The ability to have the very same keyboard with TrackPoint while docked and while on the go is one of the great advantages of Thinkpads today.

4. not.sure

not.sure Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I could imagine there is professional graphics software that needs a certified driver and the latest OGL or whatever. For the moment that would mean a discrete GPU.

For the casual gamer the HD4k might really be good enough. Apparently it's almost as fast as the FX880/GF330M in the W510 with the usual benchmarks...

5. Munna2002

Munna2002 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Jumping on this thread to track the upcoming releases ever since I lost my fully specc-ed out T420 i7 laptop to the Amazon rainforest (depot folks claimed unrepairable due to corrosion = pure hogwash).

I sincerely hope that the X230 will have a higher resolution screen (IPS not required). That's the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger. Let's see what changes are in store for T430s/T430u too. Honestly, I think the X3xx series was the sweet spot for me and wish Lenovo would make a sequel without X1's compromises.

I'll reserve my judgement on the new keyboard until I see it in person.

6. LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15 The Chairman

Reputations:
    I don't want the chiclet keyboard, and don't have to have Ivy Bridge if that's what it means --I had just hoped for an easy upgrade, as I'm happy with my T420 but would love the IGP upgrade.

Not disagreeing with you, but do you have a citation on the chipset thing? Desktop SB chipsets will support Ivy, so I'm a bit surprised that mobile ones will not.

EDIT: Found one myself. http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2011121302_Mobile_Intel_7_Series_Chipsets_Panther_Point_.html

7. XX55XX

Reputations:
    Swap out your current T420 for a machine that has the NVS 4200M. Good boost if you can deal with the graphics switching.

8. LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15 The Chairman

Reputations:
    It really depends on what you're doing.

I currently have the Optimus model of T420. Performance is great --heat is not when Optimus is running. I'm not convinced that Optimus is switching on and off at the best times, and it can really drive the fan and heat my power brick up considerably. But the performance certainly beats the Intel HD graphics.

The new nVidia graphics will probably be built on a smaller die process, and run a bit cooler; it will still probably perform better than Intel HD 4000, especially in specific tasks (I'm betting OpenGL for sure, among others). But it probably won't be enough for me to get it this time around; at 1600x900 the HD 4000 should be enough for what I want, and save me a hundred bucks. But if you're running certain graphical design apps, or CAD, the nVidia chip will probably have an edge.

Already have it (see sig and above). I want more performance with less heat and power consumption. The keyboard on the T430 may be a deal-breaker for me though, and my T420 has been a stellar notebook that I've been very happy with.

9. XX55XX

Reputations:
    Exactly. No point in upgrading, see? You just saved yourself a few hundred bucks.

10. tongdakfiend

tongdakfiend Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I love my x220 (my first ThinkPad) and am looking for a second laptop for my wife and (in reality) to use as a desktop replacement. I am waiting to see what the w530 will look like. I thought about just going cheap with a Sony Vaio F Series for a desktop replacement, but the keyboard is a chiclet. Although it is not absolutely a deal breaker for me, the keyboard on my x220 is so much nicer than any other laptop that I have owned. So for now, I am just waiting for the W530 with Ivy Bridge to be released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.