The Upcoming ThinkPad X230, X230i, T430, T430i, T530, T530i and W530?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by moocow_cn, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pseudorandom

Pseudorandom Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I personally think the Thinklight is a better solution. I use my Thinklight to illuminate papers and stuff or provide basic ambient lighting to avoid eye strain than as a method to illuminate the keyboard most of the time.

Backlit is a much better way to illuminate a keyboard, but it's not very useful for anything beyond that.

2. aadadams

aadadams Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would like to see both. That way the think light fans are appeased and those seeking the new tech of back lighting are also satisfied. This would not increase costs that much an I feel it would be a win win!

3. lenardg

lenardg Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I think in this case the emphasis is on the layout, rather than the chiclet thing itself. The 7 row layout is gone, and the new chiclet layout has some keys missing.

4. XX55XX

XX55XX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh, that. Well, I'm rather disappointed by the absence of the 7-row layout myself.

5. Summilux

Summilux Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have more problems with the chicklets than with the number of rows.

People say that Lenovo's chicklets are the best available on the market, that reviews are very enthousiastic about them... but the slight problem is: as good as they may be, they're still chicklets. Inferior to legacy Thinkpad keyboards.

I have to use the x100e's chicklets, which is supposed to be very good. It's probably very good... by chicklets standards. In reality, again compared to true Thinkpad keyboards, it just sucks.

6. Ethyriel

Ethyriel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We have the X100e and X120e, and the E420 and E520 at work. I have an X61s at home, and once had a T60p. To me, the chiclets just don't scale down well at all. I don't know if it's the space between the keys, or the hard edges, or what, but they just feel more cramped than a similarly sized traditional Thinkpad keyboard. On the Edge models, though, while I fully admit it's not as good as the traditional keyboards, the chiclets are quite nice. Definitely better than all our non-Thinkpad laptops at work. That includes some mixed Elitebooks and Fujitsu T730's.

Now, where I suspect the chiclets are going to shine is 3-4 years down the road. My X61s has been in service for about 4 years, and I'm having to start thinking about a new keyboard because a lot of the keys have become pretty unresponsive. The travel is still perfect, but a lot of key presses just don't register. I'm thinking that a chiclet would let less dust and grime under there (I do live in the desert), and would age better.

But yeah, the 6 row layout is a deal breaker for me. There's no world where pgup and pgdn should be in a different area of the keyboard as home and end. I'm pretty militant about them being in the traditional relation to each other too, but being in different corners is totally unacceptable to me.

7. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Perhaps because there's less key pitch in the X100e and X120e keyboards than the Edge keyboards (which have the same pitch as traditional Thinkpad keyboards)?

8. Ethyriel

Ethyriel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So does my X61s. I don't know about the key pitch in the X61s vs the X120e, but the gap in my preference between the X61s and the T60p compared to the X120e and the E520 is very much disproportianate. I just can't get used to the X120e machines even though I'm used to the smaller keyboard on my X61s. The E520 machines are just fine, though, so long as I don't have to actually work on them since the key layout blows.

9. Pseudorandom

Pseudorandom Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The X series keyboards before the X200 generation were significantly smaller than the T series keyboards since there wasn't enough width to fit a full sized keyboard. The X220 uses the exact same keyboard assembly as the T and W series. All traditional keyboards have been 2.5mm pitch for a while though I believe. The new chiclets are 2.0mm, but the X100e/X120e keyboards were 1.5mm.

Also, Lenovo also uses multiple keyboard suppliers. There are pretty minor differences in feel between the same keyboard from different manufacturers.

The X100e keyboard has less key pitch depth compared to other chiclets and the traditional keyboards.

I would try an X1 keyboard, or a full sized Edge keyboard before saying that the chiclet keycaps are really inferior.

10. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

W530 with a Chiclet keyboard...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.