The "Undervolting" Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by flipfire, Apr 1, 2008.

1. popextra

popextra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    rtrdogs...
    I have this same problem for a months now, have posted many questions to this forum and no one has been able to help. I'm using a 1.66ghz AMD on an Hp laptop, i get BSOD when i use RMclock for 30 mins-4hours, even when all the volts are the same as the stock settings.... the strange thing is that when i'm stressing the laptop i never (overnight) get BSOD, but when i'm not doing anything (maybe browsing) and orthos is off then after sometime i get the BSOD. My computer has never been to repairs and apart from this, its been a good lappie. Also, i tried about 2 versions of RMclock and still have the same problem.
    Can someone here PLease help me out???

2. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    are you sure you havent set the 6x-11x multiplier too low? ORTHOS will only test the highest multiplier which is only used on full cpu load.

Minimal cpu load (eg surfing net, listening to music) will run between 6x-9x multiplier. If these are set too low then it will BSOD

Do the "other multiplier stability test" in this guide

3. KiRil

KiRil Newbie

Reputations:
    Here are my settings on a intel t7700:
    SuperLFM - 0,850V (multiplier at 8x)
    6X - 0,850V
    7X - 0,850V
    8X - 0,850V
    9X - 0,900V
    10X - 0,950V
    11X - 1,0125V
    12X - 1,0625V

Been stable for over 2 weeks now. Under normal usage my cpu temp is around 48-55C. Under CPU stress it goes up to 71-72. Running Vista x64.

4. OlMightyGreek

OlMightyGreek Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys!
    I'm "new" I finally got my Dell XPS 1530 with a T9300 Penryn and Im trying to undervolt it. For now it seems to run stable (tested with orthos) with following settings:
    6x - 10x -> 0,925V
    11x -> 0,95V
    12x -> 1,0V
    But im still testing the 10x-12x because i want them to be at least 12hrs stable under orthos.

But i still got some questions:
    -Does the CPU produce more heat running with 10x and 0,925V than running with 6x and 0,925V? It seems so... but why? The Voltage is the same.
    -Why did Intel set the lowest Voltage that high? It seems that the CPU could run on even lower Voltages...
    -Is XP able to handle a Penryn like Vista? What disadvantages concerning Powermanagement do I have with XP?

Thanks a lot! This thread was the most helpful I found....

5. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    12 hour is kind of overkill, this might put a strain on your cpu/fan. 3 hours is more than enough

Higher clock speeds, thats why. even if the same voltage is passing through it. Higher multiplier = high clock speed

To make sure its on a safe range... if it was possible to make it any lower i bet everyone will get BSOD's

Yes XP will work fine but Vista was the only OS that could handle multiple cores. XP has a patch now that can utilize multi-cores aswell. XP will probably have better battery life
    -

Can you guys also post your max temps before and after UV'ing? I just wanna see how much it can take off. UV'ing seems to be the most effective for Merom CPU's. Penryns were already built to run cool.

6. OlMightyGreek

Reputations:
    Ok, thanks a lot for your help!
    Got some more questions...
    -Should I set the SLFM on 6x to increase powersaving? It is set on 8x now. Is it right, that this mode is only active when the system is idle? So 6x wold be more effective...

-How do i configure "the rest" to make the powersaving more effective?

-Can I undervolt my GPU in 2D mode??

Thanks guys

7. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    8x SuperLFM will idle at 1.2ghz'ish. 6x SuperLFM will idle at about 600mhz'ish depending on your CPU. So Yes set it on 6x so it idles at a very low clock speed. Look at the CPU Info page and compare 6x and 8x, see the difference on clock speeds?

your kidding right? this guide is only for the CPU. I dont think you can undervolt a GPU, i know you can underclock it.

8. OlMightyGreek

Reputations:
    okok, sorry.. i read something about a programm called nibitor to undervolt a gpu. google. this would be a great way to save some power too...
    thanks so far. ill try to configure my rmclock properly and post the results.

9. popextra

popextra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I used RMclock to force my CPU to run at the minimum FID (4x) then stressed with Orthos for more then 1 hour and nothing happened. I did the same for all the other FIDs (5x, 6x, 7x, 8x) one at a time still nothing happens. My computer seems to freeze in about 30mins-3hours as long as i have RMclock running and i'm doing almost nothing. I've used several versions of RMclock and still have the same problem. Do you think ACPI or some advance setting will have something to do with this??
    Will be very grateful if someone can help me fix this problem. Flipfire, do you have any idea??

10. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Nibitor is Nvidias BIOS editor, this can be risky stuff if you dont know what your doing. I suggest you stay away from this unless you want your notebook as a paperweight.

I can see that your trying to achieve the best battery life as possible. Is there something wrong with the M1530's battery life?

This guide is probably the best solution for more battery life without compromise. The profile that we setup in this guide is Dynamic, meaning theres no need to make other profiles.