The "Undervolting" Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by flipfire, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zom015

Zom015 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Looking at the results HWiNFO seems to be reporting EDP across all 3 domains, especially IA in which it is nearly on all the time even while the CPU is idle. Perhaps you could check this with "limit reasons" in TS. If you would open the sensor panel on HWiNFO to show those reasons then run "Limit Reasons" and click each of the 3 grey boxes to clear logged events in yellow. Then give it a few seconds idling and snapshot both together and post the pic, cheers.

In those tests clocks are holding well and not showing throttling. Temperature is fine but showing a large differential from core to heatsink. Might be poor TIM and/or poor thermal characteristics of the die. Only a re-paste might confirm one way or the other but max temperature isn't high enough to be a major concern. VID seems a little high, you could try reducing it with a negative vcore offset starting with -50mV.

From the tests run there doesn't seem much to worry about.

3. Zom015

Reputations:
    Okay, so I ran "limit reasons" with HWiNFO sensors panel, not everything is showing because of small screen, but maybe it will be enough. :D

[​IMG]

P.S My sound sometimes stutters, is this related to some CPU throtting?

4. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Seems HWiNFO doesn't play nice and resets limit reason flags and constantly resets them. Very anti-social. If you run Limit reasons on it's own (it's probably hiding in the TS folder) does EDP flash up red or just yellow when previously cleared?

IIRC Unclewebb has helped a lot of cakewalk users with audio problems usually to do with DPC latency, maybe ask him. I think he also has an option for timer resolution that's a semi-secret option in TS that's helped a few folk out too.

5. Zom015

Reputations:
    I tried runing "limit reasons" without HWiNFO, and still EDP flashes yellow.

Thanks for suggestion, I will try to contact "Unclewebb" when I will have some free time.

I will also try to undervolt CPU little bit, as for "playing" with ThrottleStop, I probably won't be able to increase CPU performance much?

Thanks for help man.

6. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Clocks don't seem to be dropping but undervolting can still help with temps and battery life. Not sure why that EDP is triggering. When you say Yellow flashes I take it you mean it turns red. Maybe PL3 is activating.

7. Zom015

Reputations:
    Nope you misunderstood me :D, yellow doesn't turn to red, when i press button it disappears, then after ~1sec it reappears yellow.

P.S I recently bought Wastelands 2, and it lags in some areas on max settings, I wonder if I could squeeze little bit of performance by Overclocking processor, when I play that game?

8. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Ahh, okay.

The only CPU overclocking you might get out of that is increasing bclk for which you may or may not need a firmware mod and probably looking at only a 2% to 3% increase. Not really worth the effort IMHO. Try the undervolt and if the lag is still annoying you might think about reducing max settings.

You could also try asking about the 940m in the gaming thread to see if anything can be done with it.

9. Zom015

Reputations:
    Ok, that seems all. Thanks again.

10. iparout

iparout Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi.

Is this guide still valid for undervolting a T3400 or are there better alternatives ? I am running Windows 10 64 bit and cannot get RMClock to load. I get the RMClock64 error and, unfortunately, the links in the first post for the signed driver do not work anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.