The "Undervolting" Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by flipfire, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madworldpt

Madworldpt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, i have a Clevo P650SE and i used to undevolt it, but even then the temperatures were pretty high so i just turned off turbo boost and removed the undervolt. A few days ago i repasted the CPU and GPU and turned on turbo boost again but now i can't find the "Dynamic Voltage offset" in the XTU, only "core voltage offset". Any of you guys know what i'm doing wrong?

Edit: i7-4720HQ

2. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Use TS8b5 instead.

3. Zom015

Zom015 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, is it worth undervolting i5-5200u, or gains will be minimal? As it is ultra low voltage (ULV).

4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Always UV if you can.. Drops power usage and allows longer period of turbo!

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    What does Ultra Low Voltage really mean. Does it mean it uses less voltage while idle or that because it uses a lower multiplier the maximum core voltage wont be as high as full voltage chips.

It doesn't seem mean it uses less voltage per frequency than other chips. I've seen a desktop i3 Haswell use less voltage than possible with an undervolted Haswell ULV at the same frequency (something like 2.7GHz IIRC) and probably less power.

@Zom015 If you are not throttling then undervolting can help increase battery usage otherwise it can help letting the CPU run faster. YMMV

6. stalker-svk

stalker-svk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how to undervolt Westmere i5 560M ? and Ivy bridge i3 3217U ?

7. Zom015

Reputations:
    Ok thanks for reply, I will try to undervolt and use "ThrottleStop" to remove throttle on weekend. Which I should do first? Or it doesn't matter? :D

8. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Well ThrottleStop can do both. What sort of throttling are you experiencing, any pics you can post to show what is happening?

9. Zom015

Reputations:
    I got quite high interrupts, sometimes up to 1.20, and latencymon suggested to remove throttle.

Here's pic of ThrottleStop: [​IMG]

In your opinion, do I need to use "ThrottleStop"? If you need any pic I will post, and BIG thanks for replying and being so helpful. :)

10. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Need to see how much you are throttling so pic needs to show that. Maybe running TSBench, Cinebench R15 or Wprime 1024M.Something that will run long enough to see throttling and show energy and temperature values. Opening limit reasons and clearing columns before running can help to, HWiNFO can provide some nice graphs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.