The "Undervolting" Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by flipfire, Apr 1, 2008.

1. justinluck

justinluck Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Flipfire, I notice in your tutorial that you were able to select voltages lower than v.95 at some multipliers. All of mine cap at v.95 in RMClock. There is no option to select lower even though the processor runs perfect at .95. Is v.95 the lowest a T9300 is allowed to go?

2. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    My processor is 2.2ghz merom, yours is 2.5ghz penryn. Faster processors needs more voltage to run thats why yours is slightly higher by default.

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I believe Intel test each CPU during production and then hard-code the voltage range into each CPU. In theory all the CPUs of each family should have the same low end voltage (where they are all running at the same speed). The reality is that there is some variation.

John

4. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Ive noticed this too but when i look at the Merom cpu range. The faster the processor the higher the pre-set voltages are, (even idle voltage)

5. rtrdogs

rtrdogs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll bet you guys will know the answer to this. My undervolt was stable for a week before my LCD went out. Games, video editing, just looking at the Internet. All was working wonderfully.

Since it's come back from repairs, with HP checking off a box next to "cable" and then someone scribbling "LCD" above it, now my undervolt has gone wonky and I'm getting the BSOD. The message is "irql_not_less_or_equal" and then it says it's dumping before a reboot.

With the repair sheet only saying "cable," I didn't figure they had replaced the motherboard. (There is not a box on the entire repair sheet that even says "motherboard" for the repair tech to check.)

Anyway, my power jack is loose and with the BSOD only when I'm running undervolted, if you were to take a wild (or educated) guess, would you say that they did replace the mobo and that's what's affecting the undervolt under my old settings before it went in for repair?

I guess I'll have to start my tests all over again because it's now unstable when it had been running great before I sent it in.

6. comper

comper Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds like RAM to me.

Edit: Just to check, take out one piece of RAM and see if you get a BSOD again. If you do get one, retry with the other piece reinserted and the other taken out. If it happens again then it may be that both pieces of RAM are bad, but that isn't very likely. Instead, if you don't get a BSOD after taking out one of the pieces, then it should be safe to say that the one stick is bad.

7. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    I dont think they have replaced the mobo as they didnt need too. They did do a crappy job on putting the mobo back, giving you a loose jack

IRQL bluescreen isnt usually the error you get for undervolting. I got an error like this before from bad RAM like comper said, but its possible it is the UV'ing

Try turning RMclock off for a while and see if your still getting it.

8. rtrdogs

Reputations:
    I ran the computer all afternoon long with the RAM in place like normal and RMClock off. No BSOD. I'll run it tonight with the RAM in place, RMClock on and see what happens.

Then I'll move to switching out the RAM to see if I can pinpoint this further.

I was just wondering since HP outsources the repair to Quanta if they replaced the entire mobo instead of just the LCD cable. This is all very peculiar!

9. rtrdogs

Reputations:
    Just posting an update. Something must have changed while it was in repair because it's definitely giving the BSOD only when RMClock is on.

I ran it all afternoon with RMClock off and no BSOD. Last night I started RMClock, ran undervolted and then BSOD shortly after. After the reboot, kept RMClock off and it ran with no BSOD for 5 hours (and then I went to bed).

It's not worth me re-testing the voltages with Orthos until I decide if I'm keeping this laptop. I don't know what changed but my values were stable until it went in for repair.

But my Vostro's supposed to arrive today so I'll undervolt that one for sure.

Just to be clear if anyone's on the fence about undervolting, I'm definitely not blaming the undervolt. Something has changed with my system since it's been in for repair because it was running very well and very cool before it was sent in. I'll definitely undervolt the laptop I'm keeping.

10. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    They must have changed some other parts. They could have done alot to it without you knowing. Maybe they forgot to put the processor back on haha

I think its time to get rid of that dv9700, its too troublesome and just not the same. Whens the Vostro arriving??