The "Undervolting" Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by flipfire, Apr 1, 2008.

1. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Well your voltages are ridiculous but i dont think its something to worry about. Raise it up to 1v if you really wanna play it safe.

Ill do a deep research if undervolting can definately cause CPU damage. Ive tried for looking it before but barely found anything..

yay instantly found my guide on google. Someone else made a T7500 undervolting guide nearly exact as mine but 2 weeks ago =/

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can't undervolt too much provided the CPU remains stable. The voltages are needed to ensure that the electrons move around as expected. Some people have been lucky and got CPUs which run at 2GHz at <1.0V. In the old days of Pentium M CPUs one used to be able to get the minimum CPU voltage down to 0.75V.

Intel's pre-set voltages seem to have a generous margin. I wonder whether one factor is trying to avoid encroachment on the lower power CPUs which have premium pricing.

John

3. rtrdogs

rtrdogs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks flipfire and John. I don't know why my voltages are coming in so low but as long as I'm not doing anything terrible to the laptop in the long run, I won't complain! :)

I tried looking it up a few days ago but I couldn't find anything negative about undervolting either.

Anyway, I've found great amusement in watching RMClock in the systray. I'm very easy to entertain.

4. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Something I should reiterate is that different CPUs with the same model number can have different characteristics, both in the pre-defined voltage range (at least for Intel CPUs) and the voltages needed for stable operation. There is, therefore, an element of luck in what you get. There seems to be some randomness in Intel's pre-set voltages.

I would also be cautious about having a big voltage increment between two CPU speed steps unless each step is confirmed by stress testing. The SpeedStep function means that a CPU will not stay fully loaded on an intermediate step but will move to a faster speed so a potentially unstable setting may not be revealed. However, it remains a problem waiting to happen.

Normally I let RMClock interpolate between the voltages for the lowest and fastest speeds.

John

5. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi all, I'm new here(as a registered user) and wanted to say thanks flipfire, this guide is awesome. But can you nice folks help me out a little more here..?

RMClock won't start up with windows..? And the "Enable Enh. Stop Grant C2E" is auto-unchecked when come back from restart.. should I continue with the guide in this case?

P.S. IDA and DFFS are unavailable for me..
    P.S.S CPU Specs(Everest Ultimate)

Mobile DualCore Intel Pentium T2370, 1733 MHz (13 x 133) Merom-1M
    Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3
    Min / Max CPU Multiplier 6x / 13x
    Core Voltage 1.063 - 1.363 V
    I/O Voltage 1.063 - 1.363 V

6. Sa*ad159

Sa*ad159 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't even applied AS5 and my idle temperature is at 40C and my performance is way better.

THANKS!

7. Johnny T

Johnny T Forum Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yup! Right here! :D On my lowest multiplier (6, 600mhz) I have got it on 0.700v which is the lowest possible in NHC. Highest multiplier (16, 1.6GHz)is on 1.164v.:)

8. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    nevermind my previous post got things solved

9. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I've added this to the list in the stickes so it's easier to find.

John

10. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Thanks John.. appreciate it