The "Undervolting" Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by flipfire, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Diablo

Diablo Metalhead

Reputations:
    yeah, i was thinking that too after i took another look at it...might have missed a step somewhere..so im re-doing the stress test. the only reason i did a 6 hour stress test is because i let it run overnight while i was sleeping.

2. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    I dont think RMclock detected your voltages properly. Set your 6-10x multiplier to 0.950v and leave your 11x the way it is.

why are you re-doing the stress test for? if your 11x was stable for 6hours at that voltage then its fine.

If you start getting random BSOD's its probably from 7x-10x multiplier. 7x-10x multiplier is whats used when doing medium cpu load (eg virus scanning)

You might wanna search what other T5600 users got from undervolting.

BTW, you can remove the other RMclock tray icons except for the CPU temp. All the other icons annoy me

3. Diablo

Diablo Metalhead

Reputations:
    i re-did the stress test because i changed the voltages altogether and i wanted to make sure it was stable. see attached pic. but now, after running the stress test, im curious about what temperature monitor to go by....HWmonitor reads 61C at idle and RMclock reads 47C. which one is more accurate?

4. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    This is unusual, they should both be in sync. Well mine is anwyay. I would trust RMclock more since it is a dedicated CPU utility and 45ish is the usual idle temps

Download Coretemp and check which temps it will show

5. Diablo

Diablo Metalhead

Reputations:
    coretemp shows the same temp as RMclock.

6. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Good news then, you do not have a high temp idle. It was just HWmonitor

HWmonitor must be glitchy/buggy for your processor/system. Its must be showing the ACPI temps or something...

7. Diablo

Diablo Metalhead

Reputations:
    and how would i fix that?

8. rtrdogs

rtrdogs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can undervolting too much, even though the system is completely stable, cause any damage?

I ask this because I have really low voltages that are stable but I was goofing off last night reading posts and I ran across someone who made a passing remark that undervolting too low can cause damage.

I don't know if this was based on anything or just an opinion. I can't find the post right now or I'd link to it.

As you can see, my system is pretty low on the voltages:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16404&d=1205870577

HP DV9700T with a T9300

9. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Well theres no definate proof about it, all hearsay. I dont think its possible to do any CPU damage by putting the voltage too low. Overheating and overvolting definately can.

I think the heat from not undervolting will kill your CPU faster. Undervolting only affects the CPU so you dont have to worry about other parts. Your LCD screen dying was because of the frail LCD cables HP put which is a known issue.

Ask John Ratsey, hes been undervolting for years plus hes on the RMclock forums. Ive only been undervolting for several months with no issues

10. rtrdogs

rtrdogs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh absolutely. I definitely agree -- undervolting didn't kill the LCD cable.

I think I was looking up old threads about the Vostro when I came across it but I wasn't searching for undervolting. I wish I could find that thread. The comment was said in passing so I don't know if they were just talking or what. I haven't seen any other negative comments about undervolting but wanted to ask for sure.

I was just curious if there was any other damage that could potentially happen or if I should play it safe and bump up the voltages a couple of notches, even though it's really stable (and very cool!) at these low voltages.