The "Undervolting" Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by flipfire, Apr 1, 2008.

1. rtrdogs

rtrdogs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Flipfire was a great help when I undervolted. There are also a lot of screens on what we did in this thread for people who need a little more help, specifically with Penryns.

2. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback and reps

I will keep adding small info into the Side notes cheers

I use a similar underclock setup on my "battery saver" profile. I use it when im on the train to work typing up stuff using Word which barely needs any cpu power

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I always use performance on demand. That way the CPU will crawl along when there's not much work to do but speed up when necessary whether on battery or mains.

I also don't trust IDA which seems to have no obvious benefit but its worth noting that RMClock 2.35 unlocks the SLFM voltage for use across the range so the 8x voltage can be dropped by about 0.1V.

John

4. blackbird

blackbird Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    thx for taking the time to post this and glad my guide (needed update, you provided it) helped.

5. d94

d94 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    deff the most comprehensive guide iv read

6. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    There is a difference between the usual dynamic profile and an underclocked profile.

An underclocked profile completely stops the CPU from reaching the high clock speeds. If you watch your clock speed while opening a program, you will notice that it will throttle up to 2ghz+ for a few seconds. You dont exactly need 2ghz to open up Winamp. The loading time/response will still be the same (depending on how low you underclock)

The dynamic performance on demand is what i pretty much use everyday. I only use the underclocked profile when i really need the battery life to last very very long.

7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The merits of capped vs uncapped clock speed needs further study. There might be overall power saving if the CPU is allowed to run at twice the speed for half the time, albeit at a higher voltage, and then goes back to sleep sooner.

Clock speed capping definitely has advantages when there are bad applications which suck as much CPU time as they can get while doing nothing useful (Google Earth has one message box which does that).

John

8. Diablo

Diablo Metalhead

Reputations:
    wow....somewhat impressive results over here. before undervolting, i was get max temps of 80C with idle around 61C (according to HWmonitor, i think its off a little bit) so after i got done reading this....i was really impressed and downloaded everything flip mentioned i needed for vista 64 bit. got everything working just great, just need to create my startup task as i just got done running my 6.5 hour stress test and the computer didnt crash or recieve any errors, whereas the two tests i did before this last one, it ran for just under 2 hours both times before it crashed. now i am seeing temperatures of 72C max (even after the 6.5 hours of running Orthos) with idle being 61C (i still swear the temperature is off.)

9. Lite

Lite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great guide , +Rep

10. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Umm dude have you had a look at your idle multiplier's voltage (6x) ??. Its as higher than your max multiplier! Rmclock must have detected your voltages incorrectly

Lower it down to 0.950v and watch it idle at 45c. If it BSOD's let me know..

6 hour stress test is quite alot. I only suggest doing 2-3hour at the most as it might put a strain on your CPU/FAN