The Ultimate AMD Trinity Notebook List

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by davidricardo86, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, I did structure my reply in an uncertain manner. But yes, I think I also stumbled upon these news before and noticed 4/8 initially with someone later reporting that it was changed to 4/4, and then I noticed the date the article on my link was published. It would appear they changed in the meantime.
    However, we still don't know conclusively how Kaveri's CPU will perform in real-world usage given all of the major changes (still even if the FPU remains unchanged, I think HSA was supposed to take care of this).

2. dabidbobol

dabidbobol Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hi,

sorry i am french, is it possible to put a A8-3550mx on a gx60?

A8-3550MX and A10-4600M are fs1 socket...

thank for your reply?

:thumbsup:

3. Link4

Link4 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well Trinity uses socket FS1r2, so most likely its impossible (socket FS1 doesn't support Trinity since you can't upgrade from Llano to Trinity, so the opposite is probably true).
    If you want an overclockable chip you should look for Richland A8 or A10 Engineering Samples.

4. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I tried an A8-3510MX in my 6475b (A10-4600M) and it didn't work. Physically it fit, but electrically the pins are different. Heck not even an A10-5750M worked in my 6475b. What a headache that was.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

5. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    Wow David, you have 7 laptops currently? Anyway it would be nice try if A8-3550MX could work in GX60, that would give lots of extra CPU power...

davidricardo86 likes this.
  6. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Chassis is very familiar lol.

Kaveri is gonna be really interesting. I think the future of AMD's big cores sort of rest on how Steamroller B turns out. I am pretty optimistic though. Kaveri as a whole will live or die by the quality of OEM implementations. Hopefully things won't be as bad as they were with Trinity/Richland. The quality choices were few and far between. I was originally looking at grabbing something with a setup like an A10 paired with a 7750M but everything was just a let down. The GX60 was the only Trinity notebook that impressed me at all. I'd like more options this time with Kaveri.

Why would you want Llano? Richland is alot faster in games. The only things I've seen Llano win at is some synthetic benches and a few encoding programs. GX60 is more about games and Richland is much better at that. A 45W Richland would be the best of both worlds :p

7. Gaugamela

Gaugamela Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's important to say that the CPU improvement is up to 20%. While I am hopeful that we'll see strong improvements across the board in CPU performance (a 20% increase in most cases) we can't exclude that we won't see this. If it's confirmed I think AMD would have an APU with CPU performance closer to an i5 Intel CPU than an i3 which would be great news for them.
    The 30% incresae in GPU power are great news as well.

I think that if the manufacturing process was different the increases would be bigger since it is a half-node shrink.
    Anyway, AMD has mature drivers now, Crossfire finally is working well with no stuttering and frame pacing issues so I think the improvements will surprise a lot of people as well as battery life with smart sleep finally coming to AMD APUs (Kabini should've shipped with this).

I just feel that the OEMs don't even try to launch appealing products with AMD chips so even if AMD launches amazing APUs the OEMs won't use them in atractive products. They deserve the slump that the PC sector is suffering nowadays.

8. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    I've thought Llano CPUs are superior of Richland/Trinity, of course when we are overclocking. All Llano APUs had unlocked multipliers and they could run between 2.4-3.0GHz. At 2.4GHz average about 10% faster than A10-5750M...

9. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Aah forgot about the unlocked multipliers

10. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know, and here I was saying how I only need one computer in my life. :eek:

7 working laptops and two dead HP/Compaq laptops. I also have an i5 HP 8200 Elite AIO (that I acquired for $20), a Hisense Sero Pro tablet, and my recently acquired RW Moto X. I've been meaning to sell some of these extra computers. PM if you're interested in any! :biggrin:

I think AMD should have a bigger role in the end-product OEMs release to market. A Radeon inspired gaming device like the one we saw a few weeks ago seems like a good start. Its obvious the chips are good enough, the design choices haven't been. Maybe its just business I'm not understanding.

This is so true. I could not have said it any better my friend. Mullins and Beema bring rather impressive performance too. It'll likely go unnoticed and shoved under the rug while Intel brings $100 tablets to market in hopes of slowing down the hordes of ARM mobile computing devices. We'll see where that gets them. Apparently, they are providing "funds" to OEMs similar to the Ultrabook "funding" in hopes of persuading OEMs to use their chips instead and build products under their watch. I guess you could call it bribery, or subsidies but its a challenge for little ole AMD to push that kind of cash into the hands of OEMs. As much as I would like to see an AMD-branded end-product (AIO, desktop, laptop, convertible/detachable, tablet, smartphone, smart watch, etc. et.c) its likely not going to happen any time soon.

AMD's strategy has to be different, and so far they've been able to prove that they are more than competent in bringing great products to market despite the odds. Those products (and to an extent the employee talent) are simply not being utilized to their maximum potential.