The U300 is nice!

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by chong67, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. collegekid

collegekid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anybody have an issue with the screen? When I move my head up and down the screen (not too much), from a top view it is extremely bright like as if the whole screen was experiencing light leakage, but from below, it looks really dark. Not sure if my screen has massive light leakage in general or if the screen is not as good.

Also does your disc drive make a high pitch screech like noise when it first starts reading a disc then goes to normal?

2. theshowman

theshowman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Shirke,
    I also picked up a U300-NS1 (same CPU as yours, please see my post on:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=2439835&postcount=9)
    and I also did feel excessive heat coming off around the vent area.

However, my biggest issue was the constant FAN ON/OFF issue, even during idling with it going HI-MED-LOW ( opposed to increasing in fan speed as needed)
    Are you finding a similar issue on yours? You're mentioning it is really quiet, but I'm kind of wondering since that wasn't my experience.
    Also, how is the bottom? Is it fairly hot? Have you run "fanspeed" (http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php) utility to dump temp. related data?

3. rubosh

rubosh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    anyone know what happened to U305 in COstco... u305 S5127???? its gone???

4. j0rdy

j0rdy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LoL - You really take too long rubosh, I figure you would've gotten yours already :p

But yea, costco.com usually removes things from their website that aren't in stock - then after they get some in, it magically pops up back; same thing happened with the U200, so just keep checking back bi-weekly or so.

- Jordan

5. rubosh

Reputations:
    i didnt buy it yet cause i was in Frosh Week and my mom is going there on like 17th so i have to wait for her to get there so she can bring it back lol..

6. j0rdy

Reputations:
    Ahh well, ya snooze ya loose - LoL, j/k

I'm sure they'll have it back in stock soon - worse case, you get to save some dosh and spend it on yourself :)

- Jordan

P.S. If you're buying a laptop from Costco.com, make sure to use the 'express shipping' on checkout - it'll reach in literally like 2 business days after ordering :p

7. dznutz

dznutz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    bought one of these for my sister. 700 dolars usd at best buy. so far so good.

i'm surprised by all the disks that came with the lappy. my sony made me burn mine using the provided recovery menu and download the drivers from their site

8. j0rdy

Reputations:
    ROFL! Same here with my almost $3000 Toshiba Portege M300 - I had to burn the stupid dvds myself. But I'm wondering since I got 'this' u305 from the US - if they get the honour of having pre-boxed restore disks :p

- Jordan

9. dznutz

dznutz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    wow. 3k and no complimentary cd's..... i've read that some toshiba models you have to burn the disks. particularily models that have a recovery partition.

for all the current series of sony laptops you have to burn your own disks. the manuals are only in pdf format. noobs oftentimes are left clueless because of these "innovations."

getting back on topic i've recently got some probs with the laptop. i got a couple (4 to be exact) of BSOD relating to CI.dll when booting the laptop. i'm pretty sure it's a vista related problem. tried finding a fix for this issue but there are none. i also had to download the atheros wireless driver as it was not installed (right out of the box)

10. rubosh

Reputations:
    Woot, just got mine lol after a month of talking and finding the damn thing... its looks pretty awesome and it has the recovery DVD.
    Just one question, when you use the recovery DVD to do complete reinstall does the junk come there as well.... its just too much bloatware!!
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.