1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

the Toughbook CF-27 owners thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by cjradloff76, Feb 12, 2013.

1. cjradloff76

cjradloff76 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    ive decided to make a thread decidcated to CF-27 owners
    i have one very strange CF-27mk1 which has two faults. (see seperate post)
    so im going to take you though the repair process of my one here in oz.
    stay tuned

2. MasterBlaster2039

MasterBlaster2039 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a CF-27 mk2 (Pentium 2 300Mhz) with 320 MB ram (64+256 MB). It has NO touchscreen, but i like this machine. I use it mosly to play older games like Age of Empires 2. It works good with Windows XP sp1.

3. oidium45

oidium45 Newbie

Reputations:
    I was given a CF-27EB. 300Mhz 128Mb stick, 6.4Gb HD. I just purchased a DVD/CDR ROM for it so that i can install some robotics software. This laptop may not be up to date but works well for programming through RS232.

Anyway,
    My question is...
    What is the max size RAM stick that I can install in this thing? I have seen varying sizes mentioned online. I cannot seem to find any specifics to the "CF-27EB" model.

4. gray-beard

gray-beard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think that model can accept another 256mb. Be sure it is LOW DENSITY ram as they are very picky about what works

5. ADOR

ADOR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here is some helpful stuff to put in your thread.

What type of memory can I get for my model?
    Laptops with model numbers that include RG, RJ and RA require EDO RAM. The memory part numbers for these models are:

CFBA61128 -- 128 MB

CFBA6164 -- 64 MB

CFBA6132 -- 32 MB

CFBA6116 -- 16 MB.

Laptops with model numbers that include EA and EB require SDRAM. The memory part numbers for these models are:

CFWBA71128 -- 128 MB

CFWBA7164 -- 64 MB

CFWBA7132 -- 32 MB

CFWBA7116 -- 16 MB.

You may can go higher, these are official Panasonic specs. I can think of a few models right now that can go higher than expected.

http://toughbook.wikispaces.com/CF-27

Toughbook CF-27 Drivers

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation
    Shrink down your OS for lighter use of resources

(official Panasonic specs)
    Note: The CF-27 series of laptops have been tested with HDDs ranging from 4GB to 12GB in size. (official Panasonic specs)

Can I use my infrared port and my simultaneously?
    Laptops with model numbers that contain RG, RJ, RA, EA and EB (but not EB DAM) do not permit use of the infrared port and touchscreen at the same time. These two devices cannot share the same COM Port. The infrared port and are both serial devices whose settings are directly dictated by BIOS.

For laptops with model numbers that contain EB DAM, the infrared port and the touchscreen can be used at the same time.

What is your full model #?

6. MasterBlaster2039

MasterBlaster2039 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bought a CF-27 mark 1 last month, it has a pentium 1 266Mhz cpu.
    Model number : CF-27RJZ8AZZ

Concerning the ram, the official Panasonic statement that tells that only EDO ram can be used is wrong.

I use 128MB SD-RAM together with the onboard 32MB EDO ram, and the machine works okay.
    model number of my 128MB SD-RAM is MT8LSDT1664LHG-10EB1
    Micron MT8LSDT1664LHG-10EB1 SD RAM 100MHz

http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/460-34512-8688/Micron-MT8LSDT1664LHG-10EB1-SD-RAM-100MHz.html

SD-ram is easier to get hold on, and a 128MB EDO module might be more expensive as SD-ram.

I dont know if all SD-ram cards will work.

On another note, my CF-27 mk1 had a damaged screen, so i replaced it with a screen from another laptop (non panasonic), now it works, but only in reverse-video colours.

Yeah. Totaly psychedelic Windows XP experience !

7. ADOR

ADOR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What you need are some psychedelic desktop backgrounds to go with it for a double dose.

8. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    Okay... this totally weirded me out. When I first read this post, every instance of the word "t o u c h s c r e e n" had been blanked out. I double and triple checked to make sure it wasn't my aging eyeballs or grey matter; they were really not there. I went to look at the source text by clicking on the "Reply with quote" button; they were there as expected. When I closed that out and went back to the post, they were back where they belong.

Is this some issue in the netnanny filter, or is NBR trying to gaslight me? :twitchy: When did "touchscreen" become a dirty word? :err:

mnem
    :mask:

9. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Nope its not NBR- id a word is censored it's not seen in "Reply with quote" either- otherwise the purpose would be lost. Not sure what's going on :confused: