The Titan Has Fallen

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Tokyotim, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Tokyotim

Tokyotim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am looking for a successor to my GT73VR TITAN 7880hk and gtx1080. I bought the very first week I saw it released when mobile GPUs first came out for the 1000 series. It’s had a long hard life around the world in 32 countries bumped and jarred in baggage claims and taken some decent falls while inside a backpack. This baby kept me gaming in some ****ty places and finally died in Afghanistan after a very rough ride on the bottom of a kicker in a C130. I cannot wait for the 3080 laptops I work and play way to much on it so I need to order something ASAP. I’m somewhat set between the GE75 Raider with 150 watt 2080 super OR sacrifice some performance with something that’s actually easy to carry around for once, with the Eluktronics max 17 2080 super Max Q 115 watt. I really wish I could feel the keyboard on the Max 17 in person it looks very cramped, and I’ve spent a lot of time with the MSI keyboard obviously and know that I like it. It appears that the GE 75 has the same keyboard as my Titan. I really wanted one with G sync but just looking at recent laptops it seems it’s not a trend anymore? I could not find hardly any G sync laptops at all. My thought process is I had such good luck with one MSI why jinx it just stick with the same brand however with one that is not as thick as a Titan

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    3000$ ish

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: MSI ELUKTRONICS ALIENWARE
    b. Dislike: HP

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    NEW ONLY

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming and video editing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Hauled back and forth mainly USA to Thailand and the ME

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Lots of Triple AAA titles

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Who needs a battery

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I’d like to see them in person but there is no chance of that depending on where I am in the world

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p 240hz plus

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    doesn’t matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    2TB sad

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within 7 days

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3 years at least

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Not long need replaced ASAP

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Not really an option for me

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That's quite the adventure with your current laptop. Also, creative thread title.

How about the MSI GS75 Stealth? It should be familiar to you and MSI has international warranty service. It'll also be thinner/lighter than your GT model.
    For absolute maximum performance, try the Asus ROG Strix Scar 17.

Charles

Vasudev and Starlight5 like this.
  3. Tokyotim

Reputations:
    I was actually considering the GS75 today looking it over. What’s with the current trend of gaming laptops not having G sync? Is it really not needed anymore? I cannot stand screen tearing. Do you know if the GS has a mux switch like the MAX 17 I can’t seem to come up with an answer from google

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  4. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't think the GS75 will be remotely as reliable as your old titan. That thing is made of the thinnest metal...

GE75 would be a better choice.

Are you willing to get something of the same size or bigger? MSI's got the GT76 Titan and there's a bunch of cool Clevos with MXM graphics and desktop CPUs for that price. Those are beasts.

5. Tokyotim

Reputations:
    I can’t
    I can’t do another Titan size laptop lol I REFUSE to keep carrying around the world haha

6. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would check out the Alienware M17 R3, maybe,

Mainly for Dell's premium world wide support and beefier cooling than those 'too thin for comfort' GS75s. Or a GE75 as said.

A fair bit more compact and lighter than the G73. Components aren't built as beefily, but at least the cooling's and fans are half decent and service/upgradeability is a breeze on the m17 compared to the GS75.

7. Tokyotim

Reputations:
    I was JUST configuring the M17 R3 because there is a special order G sync model with 2080 super 150 watt. I really don’t want to give up G sync. The GE75 is like the perfect laptop but it doesn’t have TB3 and G sync which is SUPERRR annoying

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    G-Sync is hard to find on laptops anymore. The Alienware is a good choice if the look suits you.
    Sager has one or two laptops with G-Sync, though I have to agree with getting a major brand for worldwide/expedited warranty support.
    Check the Dell Outlet - the machines there are warrantied as new and you might save some money.
    Charles

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Tokyotim

Reputations:
    I’ll check it out thanks, the worldwide warranty isn’t too big of a deal because If something broke I would give it to someone, who would give it to someone, who would take it back to the USA to get it fixed

10. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Still Dell would be way easier and your friends wouldn't have to carry your 3k$ laptop across the world :p That's very big responsibility ahah