The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Make sure your undervolt handle lower clock speed (when on battery). As well see if you have put up ThrottleStop exactly as the guide in post #2.

2. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    95 degrees Celsius is not ideal at all even though you still under the maximum temp that the CPU can handle which is 100 degrees Celcius. You should try aim for the CPU to be 85 degrees Celsius or less for longer periods

3. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What should I do? Undervolt it more? Any suggestions?

I just ordered mx-4 thermal paste and some thermal pads - I'm going to play around with repasting my laptop.

4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Just a quick note for TS users (v8.7 currently) using Speed Shift + EPP and the SpeedStep checkboxes.

Last week, I got an older sixth gen i7-6700 desktop that needed a quick and dirty tune up which I also did a quick CPU repaste on and then threw TS on it too with a clean install of Win10x64Pro.

Enabling SS-EPP @ 35 I noticed that this platform was getting significantly slower speeds from my ISP (Gb Fibre) than before I had re-pasted it and put on a fresh Windows installation on it.

Testing it further, the DSLReport testing showed that it was faster when TS was disabled.. (and of course, faster than before the clean install too).

What I found is that having both the Speed Shift - EPP and the SpeedStep checkboxes checked was slowing it down by about ~50Mbps vs. TS being 'off' for downloading when testing with DSLReports.

With Speed Shift - EPP set to 0 (zero), that difference was now ~75Mbps slower when download testing using DSLReports.

The solution, of course, was to uncheck SpeedStep. ;)

With SpeedStep unchecked and Speed Shift - EPP set to 0 (zero), the DSLReports download stats are the highest I've seen from an older system like this.

Leaving the system idle for over three hours in an ambient 20C room, the temps were around 29C on that chip.

When it is working on the TS Bench Normal, 8T, 64MB size test, it gets up to 54C with a 'score' of 9.612 with an undervolt of -150.4 on CPU/Cache and is almost totally silent doing it.

That SpeedStep anomaly doesn't show up with Fast.com or Speedtest.net... but DSLreports shows the importance of a true low latency computer on an external resource like an ISP. ;)

Thanking unclewebb once again for this great piece of software.

5. GreatD

Reputations:
    I would highly recommend repasting but before try undervolt some more if you are able to. I would upgrade the thermal pads with either Arctic or Gelid GP extreme if you know the dimensions of the factory pads. My ideal thermal paste is Kryonaut or Gelid GC Extreme. I've never used Mx-4 so I comment on that paste but it should work better than factory thermal paste. :)

6. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I actually changed my order to Kryonaut! It seems to get really positive reviews. I got the 1g tube, so hopefully it works well the first time. I've never done thermal paste before so I will try the "pea" method on both the cpu & gpu. I will also install some Artic Thermal Pads so the heatstink touches the aluminum baseplate a bit better - even if the computer gets hotter on my lap I'd rather that than a fried CPU.

Undervolting helped a little bit - I experimented a little bit and ran Cinebench, Prime95, etc. with and without Throttlestop in action.

I found without it, my CPU would regularly hit 96 and 97 degrees and throttle a bit more, and with it, my computer hits 94, 95 regularly and, while still throttling, throttles a little less.

7. GreatD

Reputations:
    Depending on the shape of the CPU die. A line 3/4 of paste for the CPU If its rectangular and a X of paste on the GPU if it's a square. Good luck and dont rush, if you not confident take it to a PC repair shop and provide Kryonaut to them as they will use a generic paste most likely.

8. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This thing is awesome, just set it up for the first time on a laptop with an i7 8750H.

So far undervolt testing goes fine, I've left if at -60mv for the core/cache and -40mv for iGPU. From what I've seen around here, I should be able to go further without issues.

The way the laptop came set up, the CPU stays at 4GHz and this doesn't make me happy. My plan is to have it run a bit cooler and quieter. Disabling Turbo in ThrottleStop works, it immediately jumps to the default 2.2GHz, however, I would like to have it somewhere in between. Being new to this, I'm asking for a bit of help, what's the best way to achieve this? (have it work somewhere a little above 3GHz for example). I've tried the obvious way, to change the multiplier but it doesn't seem to do anything. No matter what value I put there, the CPU speed won't change. Am I missing something maybe? Is there a hidden setting which needs to be checked for this to work?

9. hexaae

hexaae Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Strange behaviour.
    These are my settings with ThrottleStop 8.7.0.6 on ASUS GL703GS (i7-8750H): https://hastebin.com/atarovumid.ini
    I've noticed that when I set FIVR with undervolt and then Apply/OK, at next reboot (yes, reboot not shutdown and I've disabled Fast Startup) the PC will still keep undervolt, even if I don't run ThrottleStop. I even renamed the directory before reboot, still keeping UV though (!??).
    How can it be?

Apparently this laptop has Intel XTU installed by default by ASUS to mange OC (using "fan modes": Silent, Balanced, Turbo)...
    To check undervolt without TS running I use HWiNFO.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  10. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You might want to post some TS screen pics so we can see your settings. Enabling SpeedShift will allow you to have full speed when needed, but as much time in rest states as possible. Don't look at the FID - at idle, your processor may kickup to full speed only for a small portion of the time. When Idle, the %CO (% of time at full speed) should be low, as should the pkg power (when optimized, this can be under 2 watts). If your fan is well controlled, keeping power low will keep the fan quiet. You're off to a good start. Best, Joe