The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    In theory, on the recent CPUs, the core and cache offsets have to be set equally. More than one 8750H owner has told me that setting these two voltages differently does make a difference. No access to one of these to prove this one way or the other.

@Trevayne10 - I think some of the HQ processors from this era could be forced into a low TDP mode. Instead of 47W they would drop down to 37W. I do not think it will make any difference but are you using the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature? TDP Level control is separate from this but it never hurts to try. For the Asus laptops, the TDP Level Control register that ThrottleStop gives you access to is not sufficient to fix this type of throttling. TDP Level Control can be set in multiple places and the lowest powered one always wins.

For comparison, my 4700MQ throttles while running Prime95 but it runs continuously at its full 47W rating.

Edit - HWiNFO might report what TDP Level a CPU is running in.

I am glad I did not stop working on ThrottleStop way back then. Hopefully this is just another scare from Microsoft. I guess we will know in mid-April if WinRing0 support is still included in the April 2019 Update of Windows 10.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  2. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am on the latest build 18348.1 (Win 10 Pro Insider Preview) and have no issues running Throttlestop on my MSi GE73 Raider with the i7 8750H CPU.

unclewebb and Vasudev like this.
  3. Trevayne10

Trevayne10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

ON. POINT.

(Pardon me if I ramble a bit - been having too much coffee and fun (sleep-deprived over the last 36 hours, yaknow) -

"Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" was indeed the culprit - somehow it was checked. I cleared the box, and have verified CPU max TDP of 46.7W (via CPUID HWMonitor running Prime95). You're a genius, unclewebb (of course, i'm addressing the guy who coded the damned thing - ; P )

And just for good measure, I checked the "Overclock" option (in "FIVR") and changed the multipliers from 34, 33, 32 and 32 to 36, 35, 34 and 34 - and for the first time in 5 years: "Beast Mode" unleashed. Since 2014 this Asus X750JN laptop 17.3" laptop with i7-4700HQ / nVidia 840M GPU has been a $1,000 letdown - a real downer. The only bright spot has been that 2GB 840M - a real surprise - I can play Overwatch and PUBG at 1600 x 900 (native), medium settings, averaging around 45 fps, even in crowded fight scenes.

In Geekbench 4, Cinebench R15 and Prime95, this very dated i7-4700HQ now mops the floor with quite a few i7-6700HQ-based laptops (and even a few stock -6700K desktop systems (!), as well as the odd -7700HQ notebook along the way. I kept the vCORE and cache offsets cranked down to -85mV, and the temps never went over 89°C on any of the cores in the above-mentioned benchmarks, and it never seems to throttle. I set the cores back to the their stock multipliers when I'm done being goofy (which is rare).

Eternally in your debt, Unclewebb.

Now if I can only get back to a normal sleep pattern - am starting to see spots. Too much fun.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    t456 and FrozenLord like this.
  4. Krumplespell

Krumplespell Newbie

Reputations:
    My new Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51-785A has high UNCORE power from the store:
    (HW = 8750H, GTX 1060)

Using HW Monitor, UNCORE=12 watts
    1. AC or battery
    2. Both battery saver off, and on

Referencing "Idle, dGPU idle: ~11.8Watt min"
    Is there a method to achieve UNCORE less than 5 watts at GTX1060 = idle?

To me, a new laptop with 2 hours battery life is not workable.

Should I return this? (3 days left)

5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Maybe, maybe not.
    I thought checking this on your laptop would be a good thing. Whatever works for you is fine by me.

I heard Asus was a little cheap with the factory overclocking options so I am glad to hear that this TS feature is working as designed. I am sure you are also happy with the good things TS is doing to your Overpowered 8750H. I have been hiding on that thread for a while. :) Cinebench scores a hair over 1300 are the pride of the 8750H line up.

I noticed this a while ago. You can do a search of this thread for some more details but I do not think too much came of what I found.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-965#post-10853710

I have got a gut feeling that this might be an Intel issue but I do not have access to a wide range of 8750H laptops to prove this. Are you running the latest bios? On the right hand side of the FIVR window in the Integrated Voltage Regulator section it will show you what microcode version your CPU is using. Can you post a screenshot of that so other users can compare? Turn off all of your other monitoring apps and only run ThrottleStop. Does that make any difference to reported power consumption?

Vasudev likes this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I recently have access to "Ultimate Performance" under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Ultimate Performance on Dell XPS 9550 (6300HQ).

The only change I have done recently is enable ThrottleStop "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits". Can't confirm for sure that allowed access. Frankly, I haven't read that "Ultimate Performance" is a step up from High Performance. And I haven't printed out the power scheme to see what is actually changing.

After the "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" trick, SpeedShift with EPP=0, undervolt & repaste, I don't think see much more to do on Dell's locked down thin and light PowerBook as @Papusan calls it.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Trevayne10

Trevayne10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Looks like Tongfang disabled the extra throttling in a reverse manner that's why unchecking Disable power limits in FIVR using RW everything driver didn't work for you.

9. kimiraikkonen

kimiraikkonen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi @unclewebb
    Sorry for quoting quite old post. Undervolting is a bit new to me and i am interested in digging it "if" there is any possibility to apply it on my old I7 740qm mobile processor of my Asus G53 notebook to run it much cooler?

I am sure Intel XTU won't support it but not sure if ThrottleStop is backwardly supporting older Cpus even from year 2010 :)

I see undervolting concept has become more famous than ever as many Intel 6+ core Cpus (like 8750H) have been complained and critised as they run much hotter over last few years despite the concept itself is not new of course.

Hope you enlighten me.

Best regards...

Note: Just found similar thread with 2630qm (released date close to 740qm) including your post here, thread says it is not possible with stock Bios and Cpu vCore voltage is locked unlike today's laptops :(
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/undervolt-2630qm.628968/#post-8122995

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  10. ChrisTT

ChrisTT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I've been using throttlestop for the first time and I was able to undervolt my 8750H in my MSI GE75 at -160mV (CPU, Cache and GPU). Benchmarks runs pretty stable and the heat was much lower.

BUT: In 3D Mark I got now only 6700 points instead of 7400 (RTX 2070). What could be wrong? If throttlestop is enabled it doesn't make a difference if I undervolt -90mV or -160mV. The score is always lower as without throttlestop.

Do you have any ideas? :)