The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ConnorO

ConnorO Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Fernando/UncleWebb

That would be great if we could PM and discuss this and help to setup throttleshop, I am new to the forum so unsure how to PM you, can you PM please or tell me how.

As requested by other members and to help you, please find attached pictures of my current settings (including screenshot of Limit Reasons)

The only game I play Football Manager 2017, will benefit from best single core performance, if that information is useful.

In addition, the ideal would be to find the optimum point, to give me best single core sustained performance, with the coolest temperature & Heat

Many thanks, I really do appreciate the help

Screenshots of 4 x Profiles on Main Screen

Profile #1 = Max Performance Main Screen - Run on AC Power: (Cinebench R15 Score of 620)

Throttles & Fans Aggressively loud!

[​IMG]

Profile # 2 = Slightly Downclocked Performance Main Screen - Run on AC Power: (Cinebench R15 Score of 564)

Throttles & Fans Aggresively loud!

[​IMG]

Profile # 3 = Emergency Cool Reduction Main Screen - Run on AC Power: (Cinebench R15 Score of 428)

Does not Throttle!

[​IMG]

Profile # 4 = Battery Profile Main Screen - Run on Battery: (Cinebench R15 Score of 520)​

Does Not Throttle!

[​IMG]

FIVR Screen

[​IMG]

Options Screen

[​IMG]

Turbo Limits Screen

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2019
  2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    One observation. When Speed Shift is enabled, the Set Multiplier function on the main screen does not do anything as far as I know. Same with the Power Saver function on the main screen. Both are obsolete when Speed Shift is enabled.

On another note, I just read this on the TechPowerUp forum.

Are you all ready for the end of ThrottleStop? Microsoft might be in a bad mood again. They might be pulling the plug on this wonderful program.

Edit - It is Windows Insider Preview Build 18342.8 which no longer supports ThrottleStop. If you need your ThrottleStop fix, do not download this version. Hopefully Microsoft gets all soft before the final release of Version 1903 and allows the WinRing0 driver to continue.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18342/

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    raz8020, pressing, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  3. Mike B.

Mike B. Newbie

Reputations:
    This is totally F***ed up. My ThrottleStop is still functioning because I didn't join the Windows Insider program. I just hope that this STUPID restriction will never make it to an official build update. I liked Windows and Android because it gave it's users the freedom of deep modification and personalization but as it seems they're taking that away from us. I can already imagine myself in my 70s telling my grandchildren how great it was when we actually had the ownership and control of the devices that we paid for. To be honest I kinda could see this coming when I switched from Windows 7 to 8.
    Anyways, I don't know what this means for ThrottleStop and it's future, but I hope someone comes up with a workaround.

4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The next official version will be called Windows 10 Version 1903, April 2019 Update. That is only a month away. The 1903 version number stands for the 3rd month of 2019 which is March 2019 which is right NOW! What Microsoft just shipped out on the Insider Preview slow ring is likely very close to what they plan to ship for the April 2019 Update. At this stage, new features are not added. They just work night and day trying to get as many of the bugs out as possible.

If enough people send feedback to Microsoft, maybe they will change their mind. Realistically, the number of people that need to use a program that uses the 10 year old WinRing0 driver is insignificant to Microsoft. They have wanted to nuke the WinRing0 driver for a long time. At some point it will happen. Maybe it already has.

It means one thing. Game over. ThrottleStop would be dead. It would free up a lot of time in my life but there would be a lot of unhappy laptop owners. Intel recently blocked Intel XTU from running on the low power ULV processors so things are not looking good.

raz8020, tilleroftheearth and joluke like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm installing pre-alpha build 18843 in few days once everything is backed up. Will let you know...

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  6. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-123

And in 2012 I remember reading these same words and thinking: oh sh*t this is going to be ugly..

7 years later (almost).. Well we'll see what comes ahead.. Hope they don't block Wingring0

tilleroftheearth and Vasudev like this.
  7. ConnorO

ConnorO Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi thanks Unclewebb for the feedback, so what should I change, based on what I have setup at present, to improve things?

Fernando could you be kind enough to be give me your thoughts as you mentioned you had the same processor please?

Thanks to you both

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Of course, what did you expect?:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Mike B., Ashtrix, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  9. Fernando Pena

Fernando Pena Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We can still run an older version of XTU, right?
    Sometime ago I tested the latest version and it gave me "unsupported hardware" when I tried to install, but an older version worked just fine.

10. Rover 114GTi

Rover 114GTi Newbie

Reputations:
    Best way to test stability is with Sisoftsandra, go to there website e download free trial version.
    run CPU Benchtest, then pray your system dont shutdown.

Iwas thinking my i5 8300h was great runing prime95 undervolt - 0.220mv, but i was wrong.
    after trying sisoftsandra CPU bench, system shutdown.
    After that i found that my cpu is stable as -0.120mv .

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk