The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Do a search in this thread on how to clean the taskbar notification icons.

opayaa likes this.
  2. opayaa

opayaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I read some posts about it and I think I don't need this software to clear icon cache. I did fresh windows install few days ago, and from what I understand this software is good to remove excessive icons, then we need to add the icons manually on Windows Settings. Am I right? The problem is I don't have my windows active, I don't have access to Task Bar settings.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and indeed I should run this software, even if windows is not activated.

3. ConnorO

ConnorO Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All

My first post on the forum, I have recently purchased a HP Envy 13 ah0003na, i7 8550u, 16GB Ram, 512 SSD with NVidia MX150 graphics card.

Love the laptops design and portability, but am seriously struggling with the amount of heat generated (specifically want to address an optimise for the only game I play Football Manager 2017)

I have downloaded and read the Throttlestop Extensive guide here and in other places and made changes to Throttlestop, but frankly I am a novice in this regard and despite believing I have made changes as per the guide, undervolting and setting up profiles etc, my feeling is that I am still struggling to see the potential gains I could should.

A cinebench R15 Score of anywhere between 400-600 is what I am getting after various changes

Especially, believe I am still seeing much more Throttling and Heat/Temp (90 degrees C) from the CPU specifically when playing the game, in a match (maybe GPU related also?)

Having spent a considerable amount of money and having sent 5 other bands of laptops back, I really want to get this right and I believe throttlestop from what I have read should be able to help me. However, as I said I am seriously novice in this area and I would be most grateful if someone could spend some time supporting me here or directly (I would like to offer some form of payment if my setup was optimised for my use)

Please would someone be able to support me with this? in addition I am open to be contacted specifically via direct message then email, or setup a separate thread if more suitable.

Would appreciate an experts support, very much

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Welcome!

You really need to post all the relevant ThrottleStop screenshots here for anyone to seriously help you.

That is a typical small/thin and light design that does what it was designed to do with an i7 CPU and discrete GPU: heat up.

ThrottleStop can alleviate some of the issues it may have, but it can't fix them completely.

What were your results before using ThrottleStop on this notebook? Did you manage to tame the heat produced even a little?

While you can keep testing with undervolting it just a little bit more each day, I would instead return this HP too.

90C after using TS is a great indication of a poor (cooling) design, just what HP is known for, ime.

raz8020, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    HP uses Poor cooling solution but thermals can be managed if one correctly uses TS and configure DPTF for max performance.

tilleroftheearth and GreatD like this.
  6. ConnorO

ConnorO Newbie

Reputations:
    I can definitely tame the heat issue, but that appears to come with a seriously lower benchmark score, expected?

I will post screenshots shortly of course.

I see mention of configuring DPTF, where/how is this done please?

Appreciate the responses thank you

7. Julien7

Julien7 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I'm having a problem and I'm wondering if it's normal behaviour on the new generation of laptops.
    I've tried this on 3 new laptops: MSI GS73 with GTX 1060, ASUS GL704GM with GTX 1060 and MSI GS75 with RTX 2060. All 3 with Intel i7-8750H. If I'm gaming and let the processor go into turbo-boost, the discrete GPU boosts as well and performance is as it should be. If I click on "disable turbo" in throttlestop, the GPU goes well below base clock. The 1060 goes to 1200 MHz and below, the 2060 went as low as 500 MHz. I can achieve the same result by lowering "Max Processor State" to 98% in Power options. (as 99% doesn't disable turbo). My old Acer Nitro, with i7-6700 and Nvidia 960M doesn't do this. I can limit the processor to base clocks but the GPU boosts normally.
    Can someone please shed some light on this?

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can get that in Power options > Advanced settings

9. Fernando Pena

Fernando Pena Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Connor, I have the exact same cpu as you. I can give you some tips on how to tweak it in throttlestop...
    If you prefer to contact me directly, send me a pm, it's a pleasure to help. No need for compensation of any kind, just wanna help.

Btw, don't rely too much on benchmark scores, they don't tell the whole story.

tilleroftheearth and Vasudev like this.
  10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    How to Start ThrottleStop with Windows.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107

I realize that English is probably not your primary language but did you try to follow the guide? If you have to, use Google Translate. All of the problems you are having can be fixed if you follow the guide exactly.

I believe the PP0 Power Limit is in watts but ultimately, it really does not matter. If increasing any of the various power limits can solve your throttling problem then increase them. After you increase a limit, do some testing. Did it help or did it make things worse?

I do not think this is necessary anymore with the recent versions of ThrottleStop.

I read the Notebook Check reviews on a regular basis and they often times see significant variations in Cinebench scores after the first run. Unfortunately, they never pursue this issue further and they never try to find out exactly why this is happening. When I see a throttling CPU, I want to get to the bottom of it like a dog working over a bone. If your Cinebench scores are varying that much, your CPU is either throttling because it is bouncing off one of the power or current limits or it is overheating or sometimes, a little of both.

When Cinebench is running, open up ThrottleStop and open up the Limit Reasons window. If the MHz is in the toilet, there is likely going to be something glowing or flashing in red in Limit Reasons. Post a screenshot while your CPU is throttling. Show me how you have ThrottleStop setup. That is so much easier than me having to play 20 questions and gives me somewhere to start when making suggestions of what you can try.

I think I need to add that line to my signature.

Some users have had some DPTF success by using this feature.

[​IMG]

If you have an 8750H and disable Turbo Boost, your CPU is left running at a little over half of its rated speed. I would not be surprised if the GPU has to slow down because the CPU can no longer keep up. If you need to slow the 8750H down a little bit because the factory forgot to include an adequate heatsink and fan, try going into the FIVR window and lower the Turbo Ratios a little bit. This might be a better compromise without having to completely disable turbo boost.

FrozenLord, raz8020, Vasudev and 2 others like this.