The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Papusan - Reducing the PROCHOT thermal throttling temperature to only 90°C is crippling indeed!

raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  2. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb - If we would be able to use the ThrottleStop for GPU purpose It would be great :)

3. terrorific

terrorific Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    is there a way to have separate turbo power limit profiles like the FIVR? TPL setting applies to all the profiles. So while stress testing on battery the laptop crashes because it uses the AC power profile turbo limits. is there a way?

4. terrorific

terrorific Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @unclewebb is there a way to have TPL attached to the profiles? currently, the TPL settings is an override for all profiles. Also, how can I see if throttle stop is actually bypassing the systems settings, My laptops OEM software uses some sort of XTU service and I think it's not optimized for battery and there is a lot of throttling on battery.

stats on battery idling
    Stats on battery below 40% idling

thank you

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  5. Mashreef Ahmed

Mashreef Ahmed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You have touched the cpu's power limits PL1 and PL2. Your cpu is an locked down cpu.
    Core i7-8750H - Intel - WikiChip

Not much you can do outside undervolt as much you can. + swap to better thermal paste.

raz8020 likes this.
  7. Fernando Pena

Fernando Pena Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

My TDP level control is not sticking after resume from sleep. Is that normal behavior?
    In HWiNFO It goes back to "Nominal" instead of "2" that I set in Throttlestop before sleep. Is there a way to permanently lock this?
    Btw, I do check the "Lock" checkbox everytime.

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Not yet. Maybe someday. Maybe not.
    If you need to reduce power consumption for individual profiles, lower the IccMax value for that profile.

Are you using the Disable and lock Turbo Power Limits feature?

[​IMG]

If this setting is enabled and your CPU is still PL1 throttling then there is nothing you can do. Your laptop manufacturer has decided that they want your laptop to run like a slug while on battery power. This helps protect the under designed battery they are using so they can avoid any battery fire lawsuits.

Your laptop CPU runs too hot. You will not be able to maintain maximum performance if your CPU is overheating. What are your options? You can pull your laptop apart and become a thermal paste engineer or you can put your laptop back in the box and sell it on EBay or return it.

There are 2 or 3 completely separate TDP Level control variables and ThrottleStop only has access to one of these. Without documentation or access to any recent hardware that uses TDP Level control, I stopped working on this feature. Does using ThrottleStop to lock TDP Level to 2 provide any benefit for you? On most laptops, the setting that ThrottleStop changed was usually overridden by one of the other TDP Level control variables so changing this in ThrottleStop did not accomplish anything. Can you post a picture or two and show me why this setting is important to you? I need some motivation to do some more ThrottleStop programming.

raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  9. Fernando Pena

Fernando Pena Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't really say there's any benefit, I need to run some tests.
    My configurable TDP down (1) and up (2) are respectively 10W and 25W. Nominal (0) is 15W.
    If I don't set anything in throttlestop it's stays in "Nominal" by default. If I get this right, this level won't change no matter the CPU load, right?
    I was just trying to lock this at the highest level possible, in theory this could avoid more throttling, right?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Locking TDP to Level 2 seemed like a good idea to me too. In practice, it didn't seem to make much difference. That is when I found out that there are duplicate sets of TDP Level registers within the CPU. Locking the TDP Level in one register does not prevent it from being set to Level 0 or Level 1 in another one of the duplicate registers. The CPU then looks at all of these registers and uses the one with the lowest watts.

That's the problem. The TDP Level can change in one of the other TDP Level registers at any time. Your laptop might use different TDP Level values when you switch to battery power or if power consumption gets too high or if the CPU or GPU reaches a certain temperature. This is why in the early days, I was not a big fan of the low power U CPUs. Intel gave way too much control to manufacturers and in some situations, there was little to nothing that user software could do about it.

What CPU do you have? Some of the 7th and 8th Gen U CPUs can run at full speed without having to worry about the TDP Level. Here is a 7500U running at almost twice its rated 15 Watt TDP without a hint of throttling.

https://i.imgur.com/8OGhZ5y.png

raz8020 likes this.