The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agreed. Even my mouse configuration software takes up much more resources than TS.

2. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since we're on this topic I have one tiny problem (Omen15, 8750H, GTX1060): Throttle Stop starts by task manager on boot up, all is fine, but when laptop comes back from sleep, sometimes the undervolt is reset, sometimes it is not. When that happens, TS shows in the tray icon, but when I click on it to reset voltage back to low, it disappears and I need to manually restart it to get back my undervolting. It seems to be random and I don't think it depends on the way the sleep was invoked (close lid or time out), but it seems the longer the sleep, bigger the chance of voltage reset and TS unloading. Not a big issue, but makes me wonder why? And why so inconsistent?

3. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So in the latest version 8.7.02, it wont save my undervolt voltages, but the last one will.

4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
  5. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Use Intelligent standby list cleaner from Wagnard(Creator of DDU) to startup automatically. That reduced my stuttering in gaming or compute intensive loads wherein win 10 caches all RAM and hold it until the machine starts to stutter.
    I did see two different Timer res in TS on AC and battery. On AC its 5ms and in battery its set to 15.565ms

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @pete962 - Did you follow the Task Scheduler guide that is in the second post of this thread?
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107

There are a few options in the Task Scheduler that many users assume are not being used when actually, they are being used. The guide shows that you have to be specific and make sure none of the grayed out options are on accidentally. ThrottleStop should never die in the system tray. If this is happening it is because Windows is doing a taskkill on ThrottleStop. The reason this happens is almost always because the task in the Task Scheduler is not setup properly. Follow the guide exactly.

The default timer resolution value for Windows is 15.625 ms whether on AC or battery power. Some programs like Google Chrome like to reduce this for smoother video playback. At the moment, I have 4 tabs open in Google Chrome, none of them are video related, and Google Chrome is responsible for setting my timer resolution to 1 ms while plugged in. People should complain to Google about this "feature" / bug but most people are unaware of who is to blame.

In theory, reducing the timer resolution can interfere with the CPU spending the maximum amount of time in the low power C states like C7. A lower timer resolution when on battery power would likely reduce battery run time.

abujafar and tilleroftheearth like this.
  8. Mashreef Ahmed

Mashreef Ahmed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    In your first screenshot, ThrottleStop Limit Reasons shows THERMAL in red.

[​IMG]

Intel sets the maximum temperature for the 8750H at 100°C but they allow individual manufacturers to lower the thermal throttling temperature. The manufacturer of your laptop has set the thermal throttling temperature to 96°C. ThrottleStop reports that your CPU is running at 96°C so it is thermal throttling and slowing down.

ThrottleStop has no ability to let a user to go beyond this limitation. You cannot use ThrottleStop to run your CPU at an unsafe temperature.

Your results are showing that the heatsink and fan used in your laptop is either completely inadequate or it was not installed correctly. You can try to replace the thermal paste but it is likely that the heatsink is simply inadequate. @Papusan knows that this is a common problem with many modern laptops.

Using ThrottleStop to reduce the CPU core and CPU cache voltage can help reduce your maximum CPU temperature but there is only so much you can do when bad design is the real problem.

Edit - ThrottleStop Limit Reasons and HWiNFO are not compatible. You need to exit HWiNFO for accurate results in Limit Reasons. HWiNFO automatically clears the throttling data stored within the CPU.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Some info for you
    How Dell cripple performance explained by...
    Yes Unclewebb. And @Mashreef Ahmed should be very happy the manufacturer of his notebook didn't cripple it further down and put throttling temperature to 90C as MSI did for their GS65 Stealth models. Or even lower.
    [​IMG]

Edit. See also NBC.net recommendation regarding the unlocked Coffee lake Core i9 BGA models

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    raz8020 likes this.