The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I use defender w/o any issues.
    @pau1ow Download configure defender and post a screenie. There are some options that stock WD UI hides. https://github.com/AndyFul/ConfigureDefender

unclewebb likes this.
  2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    unclewebb,

fyi; latest Windows 10 is 1809 Build 17763.316 (as of Tuesday February 11, 2019).

Keep up the great work! Take care.

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hahaa.. I'm on Win 1803 as well. v1809 didn't compel me to upgrade. I'm updating it to 590.

Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dell XPS 9550 - no problems with TS.
    Windows 10 Pro - Version 1803 - Build 17134.590
    Windows Defender Antivirus
    TS 8.70.6
    @pau1ow I had that error from "disable and lock turbo power limits". I needed to carefully reread instructions for additional file that needs to be downloaded and installed. I uninstalled TS, reinstalled, then followed the "disable and lock turbo power limits" instructions very carefully.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. pau1ow

pau1ow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

So after several W10 reinstalls, I narrowed it down to the FACEIT anticheat (used for CS GO in my case) which, after getting installed, gives me that service error message I was mentioning earlier.
    https://www.faceit.com/fr/anti-cheat

If anyone has the patience to install that software, after reboot, I'm positive you will get that error message and thus loose the capability of using the PL unlocking feature :(

Gonna dig further tonight on what's triggerring the error from this anticheat.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

Vasudev likes this.
  6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    A guy on the Razer forum was having problems with his 8750H dropping down to 2900 MHz when gaming.

https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/arle3j/throttlestop_rb15_gtx_1070_issue/

It ran Cinebench, etc. at full speed but as soon as the GPU was being used, the CPU would run at a maximum of 2900 MHz instead of 3900 MHz. After lots of testing and some head scratching, he discovered that his Speed Shift EPP setting of 128 was causing the problem. Switching EPP to 80 immediately let his CPU perform as it was supposed to be performing.

The Microsoft default for EPP is 128. If you have Speed Shift enabled, open the FIVR window and have a look in the table at the top right to see what Speed Shift EPP value your CPU is using. I recommend setting EPP to 0 for maximum performance and to 80 when you are setting up a balanced profile. An EPP setting of 128 is not for me.

@pau1ow - Thanks for posting your troubleshooting.

7. hexaae

hexaae Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've set ThrottleStop to auto-start with Task Scheduler.
    How do I quit it in a clean automated way, right after it has applied undervolt (no need to keep it monitoring in background)?

BTW, I've noticed that with recent NVidia drivers having tools monitoring GPU temps ( HWMonitor, HWiNFO etc.) can cause micro-stuttering.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop has an option for that purpose. Go into the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and add this line.

ExitTime=5

That will force ThrottleStop to exit 5 seconds after it starts up which should give it plenty of time to setup your CPU correctly for you and then quietly exit.

Personally, I think a better option is to just leave ThrottleStop running in the background. The Stop Data option reduces CPU temperature polling to once every 60 seconds which is a microscopic load for a modern CPU. Leaving it running allows ThrottleStop to reset your voltages after you resume from standby.

Did you try monitoring your Nvidia GPU with only ThrottleStop and without HWMonitor or HWiNFO running? Some monitoring apps get GPU temperature info from the driver while other apps access the hardware directly. Just trying to see who is to blame or if this is an Nvidia issue. I know a long, long time ago that some ATi / AMD GPU drivers had micro stutter issues when monitoring GPU temps. Playing with the ThrottleStop - Options - AC Timer Res value can sometimes help with micro stutter issues.

Vasudev and hexaae like this.
  9. hexaae

hexaae Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great work and nice option already implemented :)
    Mmmh, actually undervolt is reset after resume from sleep, didn't notice it, thank you. I can always set in Task Scheduler as start condition: On workstation unlock.

I'll investigate further about GPU monitoring tools vs NVidia drivers...
    Yes, it was a known issue acknowledged by NVidia with drivers 388… but I won't be surprised if it came back again:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...h-fps-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update/
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...quick-fix-for-fcu-nvidia-stuttering-issues/2/
    https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread...r-MS-Fall-Creator-s-Update?pid=16205#pid16205

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop does not monitor Nvidia GPU power so maybe it can monitor the Nvidia GPU temps without causing any micro stuttering.

You can leave ThrottleStop running in the background. Turn off the system tray icons and you do not even have to look at it. Its memory footprint and CPU usage on an 8750H is about as significant as a fart in a hurricane.

raz8020, Vasudev and Papusan like this.